OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Burke County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Burke County, Georgia Facts
When was Burke County, GA Created?
Burke County was established on February 5, 1777 as one of seven original parishes (Originally organized as St George Parish. Burke County lost land to Screven County (1793), Jefferson County (1796), and Jenkins County (1905), added area to Richmond County (1841). ).
What is the County Seat of Burke County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Waynesboro and in the current county government website is www.burkecounty-ga.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Burke County, GA?
Bordering Counties are Richmond County, Aiken County, SC, Barnwell County, SC (east-northeast), Allendale County, SC, Screven County, Jenkins County, Emanuel County, Jefferson County
Burke County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Burke County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Burke County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Burke County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Burke Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Burke County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Burke County, GA Census Records
What Burke County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Burke County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Burke County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Burke County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Burke County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Burke County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Georgia Census Records Research Guide
Burke County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Burke County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Burke County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Georgia courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Georgia residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Burke County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Burke County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 East 6th Street, Waynesboro, GA 30830
- Phone: (706) 554-2324
- A Look at the History of Burke Co. Courthouse in Georgia
- Burke County Clerk of Superior Court
- Phone: 706-554-2279
- Land Records: 1843
- Court Records: 1856
- Burke County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 706-554-3000
- Marriage Records: 1855
- Probate Records: 1856
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Burke County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Burke County, GA?
A list of Burke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Burke County Archives Building
- Burke County Genealogical Society, 403 Old Herndon Road , PO Box 1522 ; Waynesboro , GA 30830-2522 ; 706-554-2138. Meetings: The 2nd Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Waynesboro/Burke County Library.
- Burke CountyHistorical Society, 536 S Liberty St ; Waynesboro , GA 30830-1557 ; Robert Hammond; (706) 554-4889. Meetings: The1st Mondaybi-monthly at 5:00 pm at Mobley’s Restaurant, Waynesboro, Georgia
- Burke County Museum, 536 Liberty Street, Waynesboro, GA 30830; ph: (706) 554-4889, Has Exhibits, guided tours, tour of homes, educational activities, and preservation of historic building. Types of Collections: Photographs and newspapers; mid-19th century home, furniture, tools, and equipment, Civil War weapons, archaeological objects, and American Indian artifacts.Extensive genealogical data is available regarding Burke County Georgia families. Founded in 1970. Curator is Robert L. Hammond. Hours: M-F 8 -4, Weekends and Holidays by appointment.
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Burke County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Burke County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Burke County
- Burke County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Burke County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Burke County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Facts for Burke Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Georgia Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Georgia historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 – 1997) (genealogybank.com)
- Burke County, Georgia Books (amazon.com)
- Burke County Newspapers (usgwarchives.net)
- Search Georgia Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Burke County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Facts for Burke Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Burke Co., Georgia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Burke County Cemeteries (usgwarchives.net)
- Burke County Tombstone Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Burke County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Burke Co., Georgia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Burke Co., Georgia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Burke County Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Burke County Bibles (usgwarchives.net)
- Burke County, Georgia Church Books (amazon.com)
Facts for Burke Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- County Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- County Photos (usgwarchives.net)
Facts for Burke Co. GA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Georgia
- Burke County Georgia (genealogytrails.com)
- Burke County, Georgia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Burke County, Georgia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Burke Co. GA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Georgia Virtual Vault (sos.state.ga.us)
- Burke County, Georgia History (usgwarchives.net)
- Burke County, Georgia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Georgia – Counties – Burke (cyndislist.com)
- Burke County, GA History (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- Burke Co. GAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Burke County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- View Index of Counties and Equivalents
- Burke County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Burke Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Facts for Burke Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Georgia Links and Information
- Burke County D.O.T. MAP
- County Maps (sos.state.ga.us)
- Historical Maps of Burke County (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- 1895 Burke County Map (livgenmi.com)
Facts for Burke Co. GA Military Records
- Georgia Military Records Research Guide
- Burke County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Georgia Military Records (Fold3.com)