Hamilton County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hamilton County, Ohio Facts
- Government Website:
- Created Date / Origin:
- County Seat:
- Named After:
- Bordering Counties:
- Municipalities Include
When was Hamilton County, OH Created?
Hamilton County was created on January 2, 1790 as an Original County. This county was named for Alexander Hamilton (1755/7-1804), Secretary of the Treasury when the county was organized .
What is the County Seat of Hamilton County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Cincinnati also, the county government website is hamilton-co.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Hamilton County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Butler County, Warren County, Clermont County, Boone County, Kentucky, Kenton County, Kentucky, Campbell County, Kentucky, Dearborn County, Indiana
Hamilton County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Hamilton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hamilton County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hamilton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
- Marriage records, Hamilton County, Ohio
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Hamilton County, OH Census Records
What Hamilton County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hamilton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hamilton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Hamilton County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Hamilton County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Hamilton County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hamilton County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hamilton County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hamilton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1000 Main St., Cincinnati 45202-1206
- Phone: (513) 632-6500
- Hamilton County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 230 East Ninth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
- Phone: 513-946-3600
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1790
- Naturalization Records: 1864 - 1884
- Hamilton County Recorder
- Address: County Administration Building, 138 East Court Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202
- Phone: 513.946.4561
- Land Records: 1787
- Hamilton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 513-946-5656
- Court Records: 1844
- Abstract of Book 1 & Book A, probate record 1791-1826, Hamilton County, Ohio
- Hamilton County Probate Case Search
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Hamilton County USGenWeb Archives Project
Hamilton County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hamilton County, OH?
A list of Hamilton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Hamilton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 15865, Cincinnati, OH 45215-0865; meets at various times and places in September through November and January through May. Special Interest Groups: African-American, Computer, German, and Irish. This OGS Chapter provides programs, periodicals, newsletters, and books to assist individuals doing genealogical research on Hamilton County ancestors and educational programs to help develop individual research skills. Chapter Lineage Recognition groups, first families of Hamilton County, and Irish and German recognition programs. Four special interest groups: African American, Computer, Irish and German.
- Indian Hill Historical Society, 8100 Given Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45243-1520; Phone: (513) 891-1873; The Indian Hill Historical Society records and houses the area's local history and provides educational programs for the community. Two historic sites are maintained: The Little Red Schoolhouse (Washington School 1873) and Buckingham Lodge (c. 1860).
- Green Township Historical Association , 3973 Grace Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45211-3316; Phone: (513) 574-9909; The Green Township Historical Association was formed to explore and preserve the story of Green Township and the thousands of people who have called it home over the years.
- Greenhills Historical Society, 87 Burley Cir, Greenhills, OH 45218-1315
- Historic Southwest Ohio Inc , PO Box 62475; Cincinnati, OH 45262-0475; Phone: (513) 563-9484; An educational institution, Historic Southwest Ohio promotes understanding of and appreciation for the culture of 19th century Ohio through the operation of professionally administered museum sites. It collects, preserves, researches and interprets buildings from throughout Ohio and the people who resided in them.
- Lockland Historical Society , 315 Mill St, Lockland, OH 45215-4616; Phone: (513) 761-5526
- Madeira Historical Society , 5776 Kenwood Rd, Madeira, OH 45243-2946; Phone: (513) 561-6132;The Madeira Historical Society's collections include photographs and historical artifacts that relay the history of Madeira. They have been bequeathed an historic home to house a museum and are gradually preparing a museum.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Hamilton County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Hamilton County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hamilton County.
Hamilton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hamilton Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hamilton Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Hamilton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hamilton Co. OH General and History Websites
Hamilton Co., OH Immigration & Naturalization
Hamilton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hamilton Co. OH Military Records
AlpineHamilton Co. OH Schools & Directories