Butler County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Butler County, Ohio Facts
What counties are adjacent to Butler County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Preble County, Montgomery County, Warren County, Hamilton County, Dearborn County, Indiana, Franklin County, Indiana, Union County, Indiana
Butler County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Butler County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Butler County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Butler County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Butler County, OH Census Records
What Butler County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Butler County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Butler Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Butler County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Butler County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Butler County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Butler County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Butler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 High St., Hamilton 45011-2732
- Phone: (513) 887-3767
- Butler County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (513)887-3294
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1851
- Butler County Recorder
- Address: 130 High Street, Hamilton, Ohio 45011
- Phone: 513.887.3192
- Land Records: 1803
- Butler County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Address: 135 High Street, 3rd floor, Hamilton, Ohio 45011
- Phone: 513-785-6550 Fax: 513-785-5719
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Butler County USGenWeb Archives Project
Butler County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Butler County, OH?
A list of Butler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Butler County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2011, Middletown, OH 45044-2011; meetings are held the second Saturday of every month except July and August in the Middletown, OH Public Library, starting at 10:00am, 125 S. Broad St., Middletown, OH. This OGS Chapter meets at the Middletown Public Library, 125 South Broad Street in Middletown on the second Saturday of each month except July and August. The Library has an Ohio Room available for research.
- Butler County Historical Society, 327 N 2nd St, Hamilton, OH 45011-1651; Phone: (513) 896-9930; The Butler County Historical Society makes the heritage of Butler County more accessible to the public through its museum and outreach programs. Archival holdings are open to genealogists and local historians. Diverse artifacts and period furnishings are exhibited in the Benninghofen House Museum. This High-Italianate style house reflects the Gilded Age, when Hamilton served as an industrial center.
- Historic Hamilton, 319 N 3rd St, Hamilton, OH 45011-1624; Phone: (513) 863-1389; Historic Hamilton operates as a local preservation group that includes representatives from local historic districts as well as the city of Hamilton at large. Located in a historic octagonal house, the museum is listed on the National Register.
- Historical Society of Madison Township, 6120 Hursh Rd, Middletown, OH 45042; Phone: (513) 423-4132; The Historical Society of Madison Township is an organization for the preservation of township history, no permanent site, log cabin restoration in process.
- Historical Society of the Fairfield Area, 2198 Rolling Hills Blvd, Fairfield, OH 45014-3759; Phone: (513) 858-2411; The Historical Society of the Fairfield Area’s purpose is to preserve the history of the area.
- Delta Zeta National Historical Museum, 202 E Church St, Oxford, OH 45056-1320; Phone: (513) 523-7597; Located in a Victorian house, the Delta Zeta National Historical Museum acquires and preserves historical collections relevant to the Delta Zeta
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Butler County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Butler County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Butler County
- Butler County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Butler County
What other genealogical resources are available in Butler County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Butler County.