Dearborn County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Dearborn County, Indiana Facts
When was Dearborn County, IN Created?
Dearborn County was established on March 7, 1803 from Clark County. This county was named for U.S. Secretary of War Henry Dearborn.
What is the County Seat of Dearborn County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Lawrenceburg also, the county government website is www.dearborncounty.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Dearborn County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Franklin County, Butler County, Ohio, Hamilton County, Ohio, Boone County, Kentucky, Ohio County, Ripley County.
What cities and towns are in Dearborn County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Aurora, Bright, Dillsboro, Greendale, Hidden Valley, Lawrenceburg, Moores Hill, Saint Leon, West Harrison.
What Townships are in Dearborn County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Caesar Creek, Center, Clay, Harrison, Hogan, Jackson, Kelso, Lawrenceburg, Logan, Manchester, Miller, Sparta, Washington, York.
Dearborn County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Dearborn County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dearborn County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Dearborn County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Dearborn County Department of Health, 215B W High St, Lawrenceburg, Indiana 47025; Phone: (812) 537-8826 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Dearborn County, IN Census Records
What Dearborn County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dearborn Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dearborn Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dearborn Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Dearborn County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Dearborn County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Dearborn County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Dearborn County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Mar. 1826, Most records lost--some early marriage and will records exist.
- Dearborn County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 215 W High St, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
- Dearborn County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 537-8867
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Probate Records: 1824
- Court Records: 1824
- Dearborn County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812.537.8837
- Land Records: 1821
- Dearborn County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Dearborn County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dearborn County, IN?
A list of Dearborn County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Dearborn County Historian, Chris B. McHenry, 14684 Wilson Creek Road, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025-2913; Home Phone: (812) 926-2006
- Carnegie Hall Museum, 14687 Main St., Moores Hill, IN 47032-9162; Phone: (812) 744-4015
- Dearborn County Historical Society, 508 W. High St., Lawrenceburg, IN 47025-1916; Phone: (812) 537-4075
- Hillforest, P.O. Box 127, Aurora, IN 47001-0127; Phone: (812) 926-0087
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Dearborn County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Dearborn County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Dearborn County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Dearborn Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dearborn Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dearborn Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Dearborn Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dearborn Co. IN General and History Websites
Dearborn Co. IN Military Records