OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Brown County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Brown County, Ohio Facts
When was Brown County, OH Created?
Brown County was created on March 1, 1818 from Adams County and Clermont County . This county was named for General Jacob Brown (1775-1828), an officer of the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Brown County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Georgetown also, the county government website is www.browncountyohio.gov .
What counties are adjacent to Brown County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Clinton County, Highland County, Adams County, Mason County, Kentucky, Bracken County, Kentucky, Clermont County .
Brown County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Brown County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Brown County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Brown County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Brown County, OH Census Records
What Brown County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Brown County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Brown Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Brown Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Brown Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Brown County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Brown County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Brown County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Brown County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Brown County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 800 Mt. Orab Pike, Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-3956
- Brown County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 510 East State Street, P.O. Box 379, Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-6549
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1817
- Brown County Recorder
- Address: 800 Mt. Orab Pike, Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-6478
- Land Records: 1818
- Brown County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Address:101 South Main St., Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-4101
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Brown County USGenWeb Archives Project
Brown County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Brown County, OH?
A list of Brown County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brown County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 83, Georgetown, OH 45121-0083, Brown County Chapter, OGS meets at the Old County Jail, Apple and Cherry Streets, Georgetown, OH on the third Thursday of each month at 8:00pm. The Brown County Genealogy Society maintains a genealogical research library focused on Brown County, which has a large collection of research books and family files on surrounding counties and states.
- Brown County Historical Society , PO Box 238, Georgetown, OH 45121-0238; Phone: 937-446-3226 or 937-378-2355; Brown County Historical Society maintains three historical buildings–the Old Timers Building and the Washburn-Dixon Log House, both located on the county fairgrounds, and the Brown County Historical Society Museum located in the former Old County Jail.
- Ripley Heritage, Inc., PO Box 176, Ripley, OH 45167-0176; Phone: (937) 392-4660; Ripley Museum, housed in an 1837 2-story Federal style structure, features over 500 historical items related to this 1812 established river village.
- The John P. Parker Historical Society, PO Box 246, Ripley, OH 45167-0246; Phone: (513) 242-4521; The John P. Parker Historical Society is currently rehabilitating the John P. Parker house and historic site. Mr. Parker was a man who purchased his freedom and lived in this house in 1865 and was a conductor on the Underground Railroad. Hopefully the building will be open in mid-1999. This house is a National Historic Landmark.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Brown County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Brown County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Brown County
- Brown County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Brown County
What other genealogical resources are available in Brown County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Brown County.
Brown Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Ohio Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Ohio historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 – 1970) (genealogybank.com)
- Brown County, Ohio Books (amazon.com)
- Search Ohio Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Brown County Newspaper Articles (usgwarchives.net)
- Brown County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Brown Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Brown Co., Ohio Graves (findagrave.com)
- Brown County Cemetery Transcriptions and Tombstone Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Brown Co. Ohio Tombstone Photo Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Brown County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Brown Co., Ohio Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Brown Co., Ohio Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Brown Co. Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Brown Co. Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Brown County, Ohio Church Books (amazon.com)
Brown Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- County Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- Penny Postcards From Brown Co. (usgwarchives.net)
- County Photos (usgwarchives.net)
Brown Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Brown County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- Brown County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Brown County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Brown Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Brown County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Brown County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Ohio – Counties – Brown (cyndislist.com)
- Brown Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Brown County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Brown Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Brown Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
- See Also Statewide Immigration and Naturalization Links for Ohio
- Brown County Naturalization Records held by OHS (ohiohistory.org)
Brown Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Statewide Maps and Atlas Links for Ohio
- Brown Co., Ohio Township Map
- Adams County Maps Index (usgwarchives.net)
- 1895 Brown County Map (livgenmi.com)
Brown Co. OH Military Records
- Ohio Military Records Research Guide
- Brown County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Brown County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.