Mason County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Mason County, Kentucky Facts
When was Mason County, KY Created?
Mason County was created on November 5, 1788 from Bourbon County.
Mason County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Mason County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Mason County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mason County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Mason County, KY Census Records
What Mason County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Mason County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mason Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Mason Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Mason County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Mason County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Mason County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Mason County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Mason County Clerk
- Address: Main St., Maysville, KY, 41056
- Phone: (606) 564-3341
- Marriage Records: 1789
- Land Records: 1789
- Probate Records: 1791
- Mason County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Mason County Justice Center, 100 W. 3rd St., Maysville, KY 41056
- Phone: (606) 564-4340
- Court Records: 1789
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Mason County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Mason County USGenWeb Archives Project
Mason County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Mason County, KY?
A list of Mason County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Mason County Historical Society, 319 West Third Street , Maysville, KY 41056-1016
- Mason County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 266, Maysville KY 41056
- Mason County Meuseum, (has a genealogical department) (606)564-5865
- Mason County Public Library, East Third St. , Maysville, KY 41056; (606) 564-3286
Where can I connect with other Mason County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mason County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mason County
- Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYMASON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Mason County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Mason County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mason County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.