OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Lewis County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Lewis County, Kentucky Facts
When was Lewis County, KY Created?
Lewis County was created on December 2, 1806 from Mason County.
What is the County Seat of Lewis County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Vanceburg additionally, the county government website is lewiscounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Lewis County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Adams County, Ohio, Scioto County, Ohio, Greenup County, Carter County, Rowan County, Fleming County, Mason County.
Lewis County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Lewis County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lewis County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lewis County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Lewis County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index – The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Lewis County, KY Census Records
What Lewis County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lewis County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lewis Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lewis Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lewis Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lewis Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Lewis County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lewis County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Lewis County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lewis County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Lewis County Clerk
- Address: Main St., Vanceburg, KY, 41179
- Phone: (606) 796-3062
- Marriage Records: 1807
- Land Records: 1807
- Probate Records: 1807
- Lewis County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Lewis County Justice Center, 94 2nd St., P.O. Box 70, Vanceburg, KY 41179-0070
- Phone: (606) 796-3053
- Court Records: 1807
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Lewis County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Lewis County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lewis County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lewis County, KY?
A list of Lewis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Lewis County Historical Society, 39 Market Street, P.O. Box 212, Vanceburg, Ky. 41179-1115 (Our building is still located at the same place but due to the 911 enhancement most of the addresses in Lewis County have been changed.)
Where can I connect with other Lewis County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lewis County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lewis County
- Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYLEWIS. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lewis County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Lewis County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- KYLEWIS-NEWSPAPERS. A mailing list for the posting of newspaper articles in the public domain from Lewis County, Kentucky, newspapers that will help others in their genealogical research in Lewis County. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Lewis County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lewis County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Lewis Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kentucky Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kentucky historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Lewis County, Kentucky Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kentucky Obituaries (1984 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Lewis County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Lewis Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Lewis Co., Kentucky Graves (findagrave.com)
- Lewis County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Lewis Co., Kentucky Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Lewis Co., Kentucky Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Lewis County, Kentucky Church Books (amazon.com)
Lewis Co. KY General and History Websites
- Lewis County Kentucky (genealogytrails.com)
- Lewis County, KY History (kyenc.org) The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Lewis County, Kentucky Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Lewis County, Kentucky Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Lewis Co. KY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Lewis County, Kentucky (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kentucky – Counties – Lewis (cyndislist.com)
- Lewis Co. KYGenweb (kykinfolk.com)
- Lewis County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Lewis Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Lewis Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kentucky Links and Information
- Lewis Co. D.O.T. 2011 Highway Map (transportation.ky.gov)
- 1895 Lewis County Map (livgenmi.com)
Lewis Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records Research Guide
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Lewis County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.