Clinton County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Clinton County, Ohio Facts
When was Clinton County, OH Created?
Clinton County was created on March 1, 1810 from Highland County and Warren County. This county was named for George Clinton (1739-1812), vice-president when the county was organized.
Clinton County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Clinton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Clinton County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clinton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Clinton County, OH Census Records
What Clinton County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Clinton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clinton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Clinton County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Clinton County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Clinton County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clinton County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Clinton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 46 S. South St., Wilmington 45177-2214
- Phone: (937) 382-2103 or 382-3543
- Clinton County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 937-382-2280
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1810
- Clinton County Recorder
- Phone: 937.382.2067
- Land Records: 1806
- Clinton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 937-382-2316
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Clinton County USGenWeb Archives Project
Clinton County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Clinton County, OH?
A list of Clinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Clinton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 529, Wilmington, OH 45177-0529, Clinton County Chapter, OGS meets at the Clinton County Historical Society, 149 East Locust Street, Wilmington, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30pm. There is no December meeting. The Clinton County Genealogical Society’s holdings are maintained by the Clinton County Historical Society and include approximately 1,500 books and pamphlets on genealogy.
- Clinton County Historical Society, PO Box 529 Wilmingto=8632356n, OH 45177-0529; Phone: (937) 382-4684; meets at the Clinton County Historical Society, 149 East Locust Street, Wilmington, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30pm. There is no December meeting. The Clinton County Historical Society and Museum is committed to the discovery, collection, and preservation of the county’s culture and history. Rombach Place Museum-home of General James W. Denver, Eli Harvey paintings & sculpture; county artifacts. Sara Rose Museum-lifestyle museum reflecting culture and lifestyle of one family from 1896 to 2000.
- Blanchester Area Historical Society , 206 W Main St, Blanchester, OH 45107-1134; Phone: (937) 783-4132; The Blanchester Area Historical Society offers monthly meetings with local history programs, a genealogy and reference library with obituary files and “The Star Republican” local newspaper. It also offers exhibits of local history, post cards, local cabinetmakers, school items, local artists and authors, and scrapbooks on local events and people.
- Wilmington College Archives & Quaker College, Pyle 122, 1870 Quaker Way, Wilmington, OH 45177-0674; Phone: (937) 382-6661; The Wilmington College Archives and Quaker Collection contain the official records of the Wilmington and Ohio Valley Yearly Meetings of the Society of Friends (or Quakers) and of Wilmington College.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Clinton County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clinton County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clinton County
- Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clinton County
What other genealogical resources are available in Clinton County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clinton County.