Washington County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Missouri Facts
When was Washington County, MO Created?
Washington County was created on August 21, 1813 (effective November 1, 1813) from Ste. Genevieve County.
What is the County Seat of Washington County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Potosi and in addition the county government website is unknown
Washington County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Washington County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Washington County, MO Census Records
What Washington County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Washington County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Washington County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 N. Missouri St., Potosi, MO 63664
- Washington County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-438-6111 ext 247
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Land Records: 1813
- Washington County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573) 438-4171
- Probate Records: 1813
- Court & Divorce Records: 1819
- Washington County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (573) 224-3012
- Birth Records: 1883–95
- Death Records: Death records extant for 1883—95 and 1974—76 only.(including Permanent record of births, 1883-1895; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1895 and 1974-1976; Negro marriage records with births, 1865-1875
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Washington County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, MO?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Bellevue Valley Historical Society, R.R. 1, Box 164, Caledonia, MO, 3631, Phone: (573) 779-3725
- Old Mines Area Historical Society, Route 1, Box 1466, Old Mines, MO 63630 , Phone: (573) 438-2368
- Mine Au Breton Historical Society, Route 1, Box 3154, Potosi, MO 63664, Phone: (573) 438-4973
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Washington County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Washington County
- Washington County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.