Franklin County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Franklin County, Missouri Facts
When was Franklin County, MO Created?
Franklin County was created on December 11, 1818 from St. Louis County (effective January 1, 1819).
Franklin County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Franklin County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Franklin County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Franklin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Franklin County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Franklin County, MO Census Records
What Franklin County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Franklin County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Franklin Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Franklin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Franklin County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Franklin County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Franklin County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Franklin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 E Locust, Union, MO 63084
- Franklin County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 636 583-6367
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Land Records: 1819
- Franklin County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (636) 583-6312
- Probate Records: 1819
- Court & Divorce Records: 1819
- Franklin County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 636 583-6355
- Birth Records: 1862-92
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Franklin County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Franklin County, MO?
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Franklin County Historical Society, P.O. Box 293, 15 North Oak Street, Union, MO 63084-0293; Phone: (636) 583-3247
- Washington Historical Society, P.O. Box 146, 113 E 4th Str, Washington, MO 63090; Ph: (636) 239-0280
- St. Clair Historical Museum, P.O. Box 137, 280 Hibbard Street, St. Clair, MO 63077; Ph: (636) 629-3199
- Meramec Valley Genealogical and Historical Society, c/o Scenic Library, 140 West St. Louis Street, Pacific, MO 63069
- Four Rivers Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 146, Washington, MO 63090; Phone: (636) 239-0280
- Phoebe Apperson Hearst Historical Society, 2808 Sycamore Ln, St. Clair, MO 63077; Ph: (636) 629-2596
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Franklin County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Franklin County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Franklin County
- Franklin County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Franklin County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Franklin County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.