Jefferson County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, Missouri Facts
Jefferson County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Jefferson County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Jefferson County, MO Census Records
What Jefferson County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 729 Maple Street, Hillsboro MO 63050
- Jefferson County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (636) 797-5414
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Land Records: 1819
- Jefferson County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: 636-797-5443
- Probate Records: 1820
- Court & Divorce Records: 1819
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 636-797-5555
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-92
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Jefferson County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, MO?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 712 South Main Street, De Soto, MO 63020; Ph: (636) 586-3858
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, c/o Jefferson County Library, 3033 High Ridge Boulevard, High Ridge, MO 63049; Phone: (636) 677-4898
- Jefferson County History Center, Jefferson College, 1000 Viking Dr, Hillsboro, MO 63050; (636) 789-3000
- Kimmswick Historical Society, P.O. Box 41 , 6000 Third Street, Kimmswick, MO 63053; (636) 464-8687
- Missouri Pacific Historical Society, 1601 St. Mary’s Lane, Festus, MO 63028-1558; Phone: (636) 937-7941
- Meramec Valley Genealogical and Historical Society c/o Scenic Library, 140 West St. Louis Street , Pacific, MO 63069; Phone: (314) 257-2712
- De Soto Historical Society, P.O. Box 513, 604 South Main Street, De Soto, MO 63020; (636) 586-9242
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.