Crawford County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Crawford County, Missouri Facts
When was Crawford County, MO Created?
Crawford County was created on January 23, 1829 from Gasconade County.
What is the County Seat of Crawford County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Steelville and in addition the county government website is unknown
Crawford County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Crawford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Crawford County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Crawford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Crawford County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Crawford County, MO Census Records
What Crawford County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Crawford County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Crawford Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Crawford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Crawford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Crawford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Crawford County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Crawford County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Crawford County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Crawford County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Crawford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 203 Main St., Steelville, MO 65565
- Crawford County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-775-5048
- Marriage Records: 1829
- Land Records: 1832
- Crawford County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573) 775-2866;
- Probate Records: 1832
- Court & Divorce Records: 1831
- Crawford County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (573) 775-2376
- Birth Records: 1879-1903
- Death Records: 1883-91 and 1942-43 only.
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Crawford County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Crawford County, MO?
A list of Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Crawford County Historical Society, 308 North Smith Street, Cuba, MO 65453; ph: 573-885-6009. The museum is open Wednesday and Saturday 10am to 2pm and Sunday 12pm to 4pm
- Leasburg Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 127, Leasburg, MO 65535; Phone: (573) 245-6140
- Ozarks Genealogical Society ; P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Crawford County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Crawford County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Crawford County
- Crawford County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Crawford County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Crawford County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.