Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Schuylkill County, PA Created?
Schuylkill County was established on March 1, 1811 from parts of Berks County and Northhampton County (Parts of Columbia County and Luzerne County was added on March 3, 1818). The county was named for the Schuylkill River, itself a Dutch corruption of a Lenape word possibly meaning "hidden river".
What is the County Seat of Schuylkill County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Pottsville and in addition the county government website is www.co.schuylkill.pa.us
What counties are adjacent to Schuylkill County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Luzerne County (north), Carbon County (northeast), Lehigh County (southeast), Berks County (south), Lebanon County (southwest), Dauphin County (southwest), Northumberland County (northwest), Columbia County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Schuylkill County, PA?
Municipalities located in Schuylkill County include Townships: Barry, Blythe, Branch, Butler, Cass, Delano, East Brunswick, East Norwegian, East Union, Eldred, Foster, Frailey, Hegins, Hubley, Kline, Mahanoy, New Castle, North Manheim, North Union, Norwegian, Pine Grove, Porter, Reilly, Rush, Ryan, Schuylkill, South Manheim, Tremont, Union, Upper Mahantongo, Walker, Washington, Wayne, West Brunswick, West Mahanoy, West Penn. Boroughs: Ashland, Auburn, Coaldale, Cressona, Deer Lake, Frackville, Gilberton, Girardville, Gordon, Landingville, Mahanoy City, McAdoo, Mechanicsville, Middleport, Minersville, Mount Carbon, New Philadelphia, New Ringgold, Orwigsburg, Palo Alto, Pine Grove, Port Carbon, Port Clinton, Ringtown, Schuylkill Haven, Shenandoah, St. Clair, Tamaqua, Tower City, Tremont. See also Schuylkill County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Schuylkill County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Schuylkill County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Schuylkill County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Schuylkill County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Schuylkill County, PA Census Records
What Schuylkill County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Schuylkill County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Schuylkill Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schuylkill Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schuylkill Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Schuylkill County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Schuylkill County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Schuylkill County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Schuylkill County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Schuylkill County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 North Second Street, Pottsville, PA 17901
- Phone: (570) 622-5570
- Schuylkill County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (570) 628-1481
- Land Records: 1811
- Schuylkill County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (570) 628-1270
- Court & Divorce Records: 1811
- Schuylkill County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (570) 628-1382
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1811
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Schuylkill County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Schuylkill County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Schuylkill County, PA?
A list of Schuylkill County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Schuylkill County Archives, 401 N. 2nd St., Pottsville, PA 17901-2528; (570) 628-1145
- Schuylkill County Historical Society , 305 North Centre Street, Pottsville, Pa. 17901; 570-622-7450. Hours:Wed 1:30 - 7PM, Fri 10AM - 4PM, Sat 9AM - 1PM
- The Historical Societies of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
- Schuylkill Haven Historical Society, The Lessig House, 13 St. John St., Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972. Please contact Barbara Gill at 570-385-2229, By appointment
- Ashland Historical Society, 515 Center Street, Ashland, PA;
570-875-2632, we cover, Gordon, Lavelle, Locust Dale and Girardville
- Pinegrove Historical Society, PO Box 65, Pine Grove PA 17963, (570)345-0157
- Tamaqua Historical Society, 118 W. Broad St., Tamaqua, PA 18252-1917, 570-668-5722
- Orwigsburg Historical Society, 100 East Market Street, Orwigsburg, PA 17961; 717-366-8713
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Schuylkill County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Schuylkill County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Schuylkill County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Schuylkill Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Schuylkill Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Schuylkill Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Schuylkill Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Schuylkill Co. PA General and History Websites
- Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Northampton, Lehigh, Monroe, Carbon and Schuylkill counties : containing a brief history of the first settlers, topo (search.ancestry.com)
- Blue book of Schuylkill County : who was who and why in interior eastern Pennsylvania, in colonial days, the Huguenots and Pala (search.ancestry.com)
- Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Schuylkill Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Schuylkill (cyndislist.com)
- Schuylkill County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Schuylkill Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Schuylkill County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Schuylkill Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Schuylkill Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Schuylkill Co. PA Military Records
Schuylkill Co. PA Schools & Directories