OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Berks County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Berks County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Berks County, PA Created?
Berks County was established on March 11, 1752 from Chester County, Lancaster County and Philidelphia County.
What is the County Seat of Berks County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Reading and in addition the county government website is www.co.berks.pa.us
What counties are adjacent to Berks County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Schuykill County, Lehigh County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Lancaster County, Lebanon County.
Berks County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Berks County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Berks County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Berks County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1885-1929
- Reading, Pennsylvania Births, 1876-1905
- Reading, Pennsylvania Deaths, 1873-1905
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Births, 1876-1906
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Deaths, 1852-55, 1894-1906
- Reading, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1876-84
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Delayed Births
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Berks County, PA Census Records
What Berks County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Berks County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Berks Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berks Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berks Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Berks County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Berks County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Berks County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Berks County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 633 Court Street, Reading, PA 19601
- Phone: (610) 478-5600
- Berks County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 610.478.3380
- Land Records: 1752 (There are unrecorded deeds back to 1717 on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.)
- Berks County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 610.478.6550
- Court & Divorce Records: 1752
- Berks County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (610) 478-6600
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1752
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Estate Records, 1752-1914
- Index of Berks County, Pennsylvania, wills and administration records, 1752-1850
- State of the accounts of the collectors of excise for Berks County, from the 4th of August 1774 … until the 24th of November
- State of the accounts of Nicholas Brosius, Esq., collector of excise, Berks County, from the time of his appointment, November
- State of the accounts of Conrad Foos, collector of excise, Berks County, from November 24th 1781, to the 22d of August 1783
- State of the accounts of Nicholas Brosius, Berks County, 1785.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Berks County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Berks County, PA?
A list of Berks County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Berks County Historical Society, 940 Centre Avenue, Reading 19601
- Berks County Genealogical Society, 3618 Kutztown Road, Laureldale 19605
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Berks County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Berks County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Berks County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Berks Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Pennsylvania Links and Information
- Berks Co. D.O.T. Map
- Map of Berks County, PA with Municipal Labels showing Boroughs (red), Townships (white), and Census-designated places (blue).
- 1895 Berks County Map (livgenmi.com)
Berks Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Pennsylvania Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Pennsylvania historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 – 1997) (genealogybank.com)
- Newspapers of Berks County, Pennsylvania, 1789-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Berks County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Berks Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Pennsylvania Cemetery Records Research Guide
- A directory of burials on Salem Belleman’s graveyard, 1746-1972 (search.ancestry.com)
- Berks Co., Pennsylvania Graves (findagrave.com)
- Berks County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Berks Co., Pennsylvania Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Berks Co., Pennsylvania Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Church Records Research Guide
- Pennsylvania Church Records – Adams, Berks, and Lancaster Counties, 1729-1881 (search.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania, 1745-1805: Cacusi or Hain’s Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania, 1762-1810: Longswamp Reformed Church records (search.ancestry.com)
- Rural free delivery directory of Berks County, Pa., covering 62 routes (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
Berks Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Berks Co., PA GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Genealogies of Pennsylvania Families from the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine (search.ancestry.com)
- Book of biographies, this volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of Berks County, Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
Berks Co. PA General and History Websites
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania : embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical (search.ancestry.com)
- Reading and Berks County, Pennsylvania, a history (search.ancestry.com)
- Transactions of the Historical Society of Berks County : embracing papers contributed to the society. (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the counties of Berks and Lebanon : containing a brief account of the Indians … notices of the first Swedish, Wels (search.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Berks Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Pennsylvania – Counties – Berks (cyndislist.com)
- Berks County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Berks Co. PAGenweb (berks.pa-roots.com)
- Berks County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Berks Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Berks Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
- Pennsylvania, Naturalizations, 1794-1908 (search.ancestry.com)
Berks Co. PA Military Records
- Pennsylvania Military Records Research Guide
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Service Roster, 1917-18 (search.ancestry.com)
- Durell’s Battery in the Civil War : (Independent Battery D, Pennsylvania Volunteer Artillery) : a narrative of the campaigns a (search.ancestry.com)
- Company 6-F, Berks County Pennsylvania State Guard Reserve of Rehrersburg, Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
- Officers of Berks County, for each year, from 1752 to 1860, also the vote of the county at the presidential & governors’ elect (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania Military Records (fold3.com) offers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Pennsylvania both males and females who served. Excellent for Berks County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
Berks Co. PA Schools & Directories
- Reading, Pennsylvania Directories, 1887-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Rhode’s Berks County Grange directory : list of officers and members. (search.ancestry.com)