Berks County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Berks County, Pennsylvania Facts
Berks County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Berks County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Berks County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Berks County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1885-1929
- Reading, Pennsylvania Births, 1876-1905
- Reading, Pennsylvania Deaths, 1873-1905
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Births, 1876-1906
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Deaths, 1852-55, 1894-1906
- Reading, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1876-84
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Delayed Births
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Berks County, PA Census Records
What Berks County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Berks County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Berks Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berks Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berks Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Berks County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Berks County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Berks County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Berks County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 633 Court Street, Reading, PA 19601
- Phone: (610) 478-5600
- Berks County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 610.478.3380
- Land Records: 1752 (There are unrecorded deeds back to 1717 on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.)
- Berks County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 610.478.6550
- Court & Divorce Records: 1752
- Berks County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (610) 478-6600
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1752
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Estate Records, 1752-1914
- Index of Berks County, Pennsylvania, wills and administration records, 1752-1850
- State of the accounts of the collectors of excise for Berks County, from the 4th of August 1774 … until the 24th of November
- State of the accounts of Nicholas Brosius, Esq., collector of excise, Berks County, from the time of his appointment, November
- State of the accounts of Conrad Foos, collector of excise, Berks County, from November 24th 1781, to the 22d of August 1783
- State of the accounts of Nicholas Brosius, Berks County, 1785.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Berks County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Berks County, PA?
A list of Berks County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Berks County Historical Society, 940 Centre Avenue, Reading 19601
- Berks County Genealogical Society, 3618 Kutztown Road, Laureldale 19605
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Berks County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Berks County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Berks County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.