Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Montgomery County, PA Created?
Montgomery County was established on September 10, 1784 from Philadelphia County.
Montgomery County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Montgomery County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Montgomery County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Montgomery County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Montgomery County, PA Census Records
What Montgomery County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Montgomery County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montgomery Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Montgomery County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Montgomery County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Montgomery County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Airy & Swede Streets, Norristown, PA 19404
- Phone: (610) 278-3411
- Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (610) 278-3289
- Land Records: 1784 (Some early deed books are in the county archives (see below) and the county historical society)
- Montgomery County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (610) 278-3346
- Court & Divorce Records: 1784
- Montgomery County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (610) 278-3411
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1784 (Most records through the mid-1980s are in the Montgomery County Archives Center, 1880 Markley St., Norristown 19401)
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Index of wills & estate settlements, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, 1784-1850
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Montgomery County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Montgomery County, PA?
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Historical Society of Montgomery County, 1654 DeKalb Street, Norristown, PA 19401
- Skippack Historical Society, P.O. Box 9, Skippack 19474
- Montgomery County Archives, 2000 Old Arch Road, Norristown, PA 19401; 610-278-3441
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Montgomery County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Montgomery County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montgomery County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.