Franklin County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Franklin County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Franklin Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Franklin County was created on April 30, 1803 from Ross County. This county was named for Benjamin Franklin (1706-1791) -Founding Father, author, printer, satirist, political theorist, scientist, inventor and statesman.
The Franklin County Seat is located in Columbus also, the county government website is www.franklincountyohio.gov/fc/ .
Areas bordering to Franklin County are Delaware County (north), Licking County (northeast), Fairfield County (southeast), Pickaway County (south), Madison County (west), Union County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Franklin County include Bexley, Columbus, Dublin, Gahanna, Grandview Heights, Grove City, Hilliard, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Upper Arlington, Westerville, Whitehall, Worthington, Brice, Canal Winchester, Groveport, Harrisburg, Lockbourne, Marble Cliff, Minerva Park, New Albany, Obetz, Riverlea, Urbancrest, Valleyview. Other communities include Amlin, Blacklick, Galloway, New Rome .
Franklin County Townships include Blendon, Brown, Clinton, Franklin, Hamilton, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Mifflin, Norwich, Perry, Plain, Pleasant, Prairie, Sharon, Truro, Washington.
Franklin County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Franklin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Franklin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Franklin County Chapter, OGS, 3378 Park St, Suite D, Grove City, OH 43123-2630; Phone: (614) 871-2110; meets quarterly at various locations in Columbus. Contact society for dates and times. The Franklin County Genealogical Society specializes in genealogical records for Franklin County and has records on other Ohio counties and other states. The Society has published eleven books on local cemeteries including Camp Chase Cemetery, and has Plat Maps, an Inventory to Chancery, a name index to Ohio Supreme Court records, and Will Books A & B, C & D. Every name index to the 1870 Franklin County Census.
- Franklin County Historical Society; c/o COSI, 333 W Broad St, Columbus, OH 43215-2738; Phone: (614) 228-2674; The Franklin County Historical Society is presently doing business as COSI, Ohio's Center of Science and Industry. (See listing for COSI)
- African American Historical & Education Center at Columbus, PO Box 91132, Columbus, OH 43209-7132; Phone: (614) 258-4496; The African American Historical & Education Center focuses on the collection, research, dissemination, and exhibition of local African American history. Located in the David Jenkins Memorial Reading Room of the Blanche M. Van Hook Home, the Center maintains exhibits and a research library focused on Columbus African American history.
- Amalthea Historical Society, 4445 Central College Rd, Westerville, OH 43081-9318; Phone: (614) 891-6363; The Amalthea Historical Society preserves and promotes the history of the Central College Area. It maintains the Virginia Stone Milligan Memorial Library that serves as the Society's repository of the history and genealogy of the area having over 500 volumes dating from the late 1700s. The Library, housed in the 1864 chapel of the Central College Presbyterian Church, also maintains a quantity of archival manuscripts and photographs relating to the area's founders.
- American Historical Villages, 6502 Old Mill Run, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1622; Phone: (740) 335-0002;
- Bexley Historical Society, 2242 E Main St, Bexley, OH 43209-2319; Phone: (614) 235-8694; The Bexley Historical Society is an educational association. It seeks to promote interest and pride in the historical development of the community and in the accomplishments of its citizenry. It endavors to research, assemble, preserve and publish a valuable storehouse of materials including artifacts, memorabilia, photographs, and genealogical records relevant to the heritage of the Bexly community.
- Columbus Historical Society, 51 Jefferson Ave, Columbus, OH 43215-3887; Phone: (614) 224-0822; The Columbus Historical Society seeks to promote education in Columbus history by offering members and any other interested persons information on the life, activities and structures of Columbus.
- Canal Winchester Area Historical Society
- Clintonville Historical Society
- Columbus Jewish Historical Society
- Dublin Historical Society
- Franklinton Historical Society
- Gahanna Historical Society
- German Village Society
- Grandview Heights Marble Cliff Historical Society
- Groveport Heritage & Preservation Society
- Hilltop Historical Society
- Livingston House Society
- Lockbourne Heritage Society
- New Albany-Plain Township Historical Society
- Northwest Franklin Co. Historical Society
- Obetz Historical Society
- Ohio Folklore Society
- Ohio Genealogy Center
- Ohio Historic Bridge Association
- Ohio Historic Preservation Office
- Ohio Historical Society
- Otterbein College Archives
- Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society
- Southwest Franklin County Historical Society
- Upper Arlington Historical Society
- Victorian Village Society
- Westerville Historical Society
- Whitehall Historical Society
- Worthington Historical Society
- Franklin County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Franklin County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Franklin County
- Franklin County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Franklin County
Franklin County Courthouse and Government Records
Franklin County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Franklin County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Franklin County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Franklin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 373 S. High St., Columbus 43215
- Phone: (614) 462-3322
- Franklin County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 373 S. High St., 22nd Fl., Columbus, Ohio 43215-6311
- Phone: 614-525-3894
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1805
- Birth / Death Records: 1851
- Franklin County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 373 South High Street, 18th Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215-6310
- Phone: (614) 525-3930
- Land Records: 1800
- Franklin County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 345 South High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215
- Phone: (614) 525-3453
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Franklin County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Franklin County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Franklin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Franklin Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Franklin Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Franklin Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Franklin Co. OH Census Records
Franklin Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Franklin Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Franklin Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Franklin Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Franklin County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio History, Vol. 1 (search.ancestry.com)
- Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio History, Vol. 2 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Franklin County, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Columbus, Ohio : its history, resources, and progress : with numerous illustrations (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Madison Township, including Groveport and Canal Winchester, Franklin County, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Franklin County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Franklin County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Franklin Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Franklin County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Franklin County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Franklin (cyndislist.com)
- Franklin Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Franklin County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Franklin Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Franklin Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Franklin Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Franklin Co. OH Military Records
Franklin Co., OH Schools & Directories