Madison County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Madison County, Ohio Facts
Madison County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Madison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Madison County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Madison County, OH Census Records
What Madison County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Madison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Madison County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Madison County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Madison County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 N. Main St., London 43140-0000
- Phone: (740) 852-2972
- Madison County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (740) 852-0756
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1810
- Madison County Recorder
- Phone: (740) 852-1854
- Land Records: 1810
- Madison County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: (740) 845-1780
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Madison County USGenWeb Archives Project
Madison County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Madison County, OH?
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Madison County Chapter – OGS, PO Box 102, London, OH 43140-0102; Phone: (740) 852-0232; This OGS Chapter focuses on genealogy, history, and preservation of records, and publication.
- Madison County Historical Society, PO Box 124, London, OH 43140-0124; Phone: (740) 852-2977; The Madison County Historical Society’s museum was established over 15 years ago to preserve and interpret Madison County history. The main museum building houses many permanent exhibits. A variety of exhibit buildings are on the grounds. During the summer the museum is open on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons only from 1 to 4 P.M.
- Plain City Historical Society, 341 N Chillicothe St, Plain City, OH 43064-1063; Phone: (614) 873-4942; The Plain City Historical Society is a working group that collects and records historical information on the town and its people. It is currently putting local history information in the local library.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Madison County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
What other genealogical resources are available in Madison County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County.