OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Ross County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Ross County, Ohio Facts
When was Ross County, OH Created?
Ross County was created on August 20, 1798 from Adams County, Hamilton County and Washington County. This county was named for the U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania James Ross by territorial governor Arthur St. Clair .
What is the County Seat of Ross County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Chillicothe also, the county government website is www.co.ross.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Ross County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Pickaway County, Hocking County, Vinton County, Jackson County, Pike County, Highland County, Fayette County .
Ross County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Ross County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ross County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ross County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
- Ross County, Ohio marriage records
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Ross County, OH Census Records
What Ross County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ross County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ross Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ross Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ross Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Ross County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Ross County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Ross County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Ross County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ross County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Ross County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 N., Paint St., Chillicothe 45601
- Phone: (740) 774-1179
- Ross County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (740) 774-1177 or (740) 774-1179
- Marriage Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1797
- Ross County Recorder
- Phone: 740-702-3000
- Land Records: 1797
- Ross County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 740-702-3010
- Court Records: 1798
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Ross County USGenWeb Archives Project
Ross County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ross County, OH?
A list of Ross County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ross County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 6352, Chillicothe, OH 45601-6352; Phone: (740) 773-2715; Ross County Chapter, OGS meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm at the RCGS Office/Library, 444 Douglas Ave., Chillicothe, OH. Annual dinner meeting is held in June. The Ross County Genealogical Society promotes genealogy and historical research. The library has records of Ross County, cemeteries, marriages, census microfilm, and numerous books on other states as well as genealogical information.
- Ross County Historical Society, 45 W 5th St, Chillicothe, OH 45601-3227; Phone: (740) 772-1936; The Ross County Historical Society operates the Ross County Museum, Knoles Log Home, Franklin House Women’s Museum, and the McKell Library. Exhibits interpret Ross County’s history from prehistoric Indian cultures through the recent past.
- Adena State Memorial-OHS, PO Box 831, Chillicothe, OH 45601-0831; Phone: (800) 319-7248; Adena State Memorial, a site of the Ohio Historical Society, is the restored home of Thomas Worthington, the 6th governor of Ohio and the first U.S. Senator from Ohio. The house was completed in 1807 and is furnished with antiques of that period. In addition to the mansion house, there are 5 outbuildings, a garden and a visitor center.
- Bainbridge Historical Society, PO Box 424, Bainbridge, OH 45612-0424;
- Frankfort Area Historical Society, Inc., PO Box 117, Frankfort, OH 45628-0117
- Scioto Society Inc, PO Box 73, Chillicothe, OH 45601-0073; Phone: (740) 775-4100; The Scioto Society produces the Midwest’s most popular outdoor drama, depicting the life of the legendary leader Tecumseh.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Ross County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ross County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ross County
- Ross County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ross County
What other genealogical resources are available in Ross County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ross County.
Ross Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Ohio Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Ohio historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 – 1970) (genealogybank.com)
- Ross County: Assorted Deaths 1840s-1860s (home.roadrunner.com) from census mortality schedules & newspapers
- Ross County, Ohio Books (amazon.com)
- Search Ohio Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Ross County Newspaper Articles (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Ross Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages and cemetery records) (search.ancestry.com)
- Ross Co., Ohio Graves (findagrave.com)
- Ross County Cemetery Transcriptions and Tombstone Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross Co. Ohio Tombstone Photo Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Ross Co., Ohio Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Ross Co., Ohio Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Ross Co. Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross Co. Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County, Ohio Church Books (amazon.com)
Ross Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- County Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- Penny Postcards From Ross Co. (usgwarchives.net)
- County Photos (usgwarchives.net)
Ross Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Ross County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- A Standard history of Ross County, Ohio : an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in th (search.ancestry.com)
- The county of Ross : a history of Ross County, Ohio, from the earliest days, with special chapters on the bench and bar, medica (search.ancestry.com)
- The great fire : Chillicothe, Ohio, 1852 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chillicothe reminiscences, 1811 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ross County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Ross County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ross Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ross County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Ohio – Counties – Ross (cyndislist.com)
- Ross Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Ross County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ross Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ross Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
- See Also Statewide Immigration and Naturalization Links for Ohio
- Ross County Naturalization Records held by OHS (ohiohistory.org)
Ross Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Statewide Maps and Atlas Links for Ohio
- Ross Co., Ohio Township Map
- Adams County Maps Index (usgwarchives.net)
- 1895 Ross County Map (livgenmi.com)
Ross Co. OH Military Records
- Ohio Military Records Research Guide
- Ross County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Ross County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.