Jackson County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jackson County, Ohio Facts
When was Jackson County, OH Created?
Jackson County was created on March 1, 1816 from Athens County, Gallia County, Ross County and Scioto County. This county was named for General Andrew Jackson (1767–1845) .
Jackson County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Jackson County, OH Census Records
What Jackson County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jackson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Jackson County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jackson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 226 East Main Street, Jackson 45640-0000
- Phone: (740) 286-3301
- Jackson County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Jackson County Recorder
- Phone: (740) 286-1919
- Land Records: 1795
- Jackson County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: (740) 286-3601
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Jackson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Jackson County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jackson County, OH?
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jackson County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 807, Jackson, OH 45640-0807; Ph (740) 384-4187 ; Jackson County Chapter, OGS meets at the Jackson City Library on the third Monday of each month at 7:30 pm. This OGS Chapter maintains a collection of genealogical and historical books and newsletters from other organizations at the Jackson City Library.
- Jackson Center Historical Society, PO Box 473, Jackson Center, OH 45334-0473; Phone: (330) 653-9817; The Jackson Center Historical Society maintains a museum that displays many artifacts from the town and local farming community.
- Jackson Historical Society, PO Box 887, Jackson, OH 45640-0475; Phone: (740) 286-4371
- Jackson Township Historical Society , PO Box 35171, Canton, OH 44735-5171; Phone: (330) 830-8622
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jackson County
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County.