Licking County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Licking County, Ohio Facts
When was Licking County, OH Created?
Licking County was created on March 1, 1808 from Fairfield County. This county was named for the salt licks in the area .
What is the County Seat of Licking County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Newark also, the county government website is www.lcounty.com .
What counties are adjacent to Licking County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Knox County, Coshocton County, Muskingum County, Perry County, Fairfield County, Franklin County, Delaware County .
Licking County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Licking County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Licking County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Licking County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
- Licking County Birth & Death Certificate Search - includes death records 1909-1945 & 2000 to present, birth records 1947-present, and Newark City birth & death records 1998-present
- Licking County Death Records 1874-1908
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Licking County, OH Census Records
What Licking County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Licking County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Licking Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Licking Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Licking Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Licking County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Licking County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Licking County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Licking County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Licking County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Licking County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Newark 43055-0000
- Phone: (614) 349-6125
- Licking County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 1 North Park Place, Newark, Ohio 43055
- Phone: (740) 670-5624,
- Marriage Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1875
- Licking County Recorder
- Address: 20 S. Second St., Third Floor, Newark, Ohio 43055
- Phone: 740-670-5300 or 740-670-5301
- Land Records: 1800
- Licking County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Licking County Probate Records Index 1829-1904
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Licking County USGenWeb Archives Project
Licking County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Licking County, OH?
A list of Licking County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Licking County Chapter, OGS, 101 W. Main St., Newark, OH 43055-5054; Phone: (740) 349-5510; Licking County Chapter, OGS meets January, February, March - First Sunday of the Month at 2:00pm. April - Annual Dinner Meeting - Place & Time To Be Announced. May, June & July - First Monday of the Month at 7:00pm. August - Annual Picnic - First Monday of the Month - Place & Time To Be Announced. September - Second Monday of the Month at 7:00pm. October and November - First Monday of the Month at 7:00pm. December - Annual Christmas Party - First Monday of the Month at 7:00pm - Place To Be Announced. The Licking County Genealogical Society and Library, housed in the County Annex Building, provides an extensive collection of books and microforms with a primary focus on Licking County. The collection includes Bible records, family histories, court and cemetery records and obituary files.
- Licking County Historical Society, PO Box 785, Newark, OH 43058-0785
Phone: (740) 345-4898; The Licking County Historical Society provides its collection of books, maps, manuscripts, and photographs as a resource for the community. The Society works cooperatively with area schools to provide informative programs, and presents lectures, walking tours, exhibits, and open houses all to increase the historical awareness of area residents. It also owns the Robbins Hunter-Avery Downer House and Alligator Mound in Granville.
- Granville Historical Society, 115 East Broadway , Granville, OH 43023
- Catholic Record Society - This website is potentially useful for people looking for records from the catholic churches in the Licking county (and other counties in Central and Southern Ohio). They have an online name index for the 3000 or so records that they have published in their newsletters.
- West Licking Historical Society, 14025 Broad St SW, Pataskala, OH 43062-8266; Phone: (740) 927-4049
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Licking County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Licking County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Licking County.
Licking Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Licking Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Licking Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Licking Co. OH General and History Websites
Licking Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Licking Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Licking Co. OH Military Records
AlpineLicking Co. OH Schools & Directories