Orange County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Orange County, New York Facts
When was Orange County, NY Created?
Orange County was created on November 01, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in theNew York colony. This particular county was named in honor of William of Orange-Nassau (1650–1702), who became King William III of England .
What is the County Seat of Orange County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Goshen and in addition the county government website is www.co.orange.ny.us/
What counties are adjacent to Orange County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Dutchess County (northeast), Putnam County (east), Rockland County (southeast), Sullivan County (northwest), Ulster County (north), Westchester County (south), Passaic County, NJ (south), Sussex County, NJ, (south) and Pike County, PA, (southwest).
What cities and towns are in Orange County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Blooming Grove (town), Chester (village), Chester (town), Cornwall on Hudson (village), Cornwall (town), Crawford (town), Deerpark (town), Florida (village), Goshen (village), Goshen (town), Greenville (town), Greenwood Lake (village), Hamptonburgh (town), Harriman (village), Highland Falls (village), Highlands (town), Kiryas Joel (village), Maybrook (village), Middletown (city), Minisink (town), Monroe (village), Monroe (town), Montgomery (village), Montgomery (town), Mount Hope (town), New Hampton, New Windsor (town), Newburgh (town), Newburgh (city), Otisville (village), Port Jervis (city), Sugar Loaf (village), Tuxedo Park (village), Tuxedo (town), Unionville (village), Walden (village), Wallkill (town), Warwick (village), Warwick (town), Washingtonville (village), Wawayanda (town), Woodbury (town) .
Orange County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Orange County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Orange County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Orange County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Orange County, NY Census Records
What Orange County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Orange County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orange Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orange Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orange Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Orange County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Orange County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Orange County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Orange County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Record Loss. Courthouse built in 1739 was destroyed by fire in 1774.
- Orange County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 255 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Orange County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 843-291-2690
- Land Records: 1703 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1703
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Orange County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 30 Park Place Goshen, NY 10924
- Phone: (845) 291-2193
- Probate Records: 1787 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Orange County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Orange County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 101 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924
- Phone: 845-291-2388
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Orange County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Orange County, NY?
A list of Orange County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924;
Publishes The Orange County Genealogy Society Quarterly
- Orange County Genealogical Society Research Room, Historic 1841 Courthouse, 101 Main St., Goshen, NY 10924; Comprehensive surname index to books and folders, local histories, published family histories, vertical files, periodicals, military records, maps, vital records, censuses, naturalizations, newspapers, deeds, mortgages, surname queries.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- The Hudson Valley Institute, 3399 North Road, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601-1387;
- Newburgh Free Library, 124 Grand Street, Newburgh, NY 12550; Subscription genealogy websites, family papers, school records, obituaries, city directories, censuses, church records, cemetery records, and newspapers.
- Goshen Library and Historical Society, Main Street, Goshen, NY 10924; Obituary Finder. Subscriptions to HeritageQuest, Ancestry Plus, Fold3 and newspaper sites. Local history information.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Orange County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Orange County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Orange County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Orange Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- New York Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992) (genealogybank.com) Easily find names and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. All new content and articles added each month!
- Middletown Times Herald (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Times Herald Record (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Middletown Daily Argus (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Middletown Times Press (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Middletown Daily Herald (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Evening Gazette (Port Jervis, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Middletown Daily Times (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Middletown Daily Press (Middletown, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, New York Books (amazon.com)
- Search New York Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Orange Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Graveyard inscriptions of Orange County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, New York deaths : from the Independent Republican, Goshen, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions of German Reformed Cemetery at Montgomery, Orange County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Orange Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Orange County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Orange Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Orange Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- St. James Protestant Episcopal Church records (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the First Presbyterian Church of Monroe, New York : 1783-1956 (search.ancestry.com)
- Church records, Reformed Dutch Church, Berea, Orange County, N.Y., 1823-1899 (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Dutch Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory, Moulton Memorial Baptist Church, Newburgh, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- New Windsor Presbyterian Church record (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Orange Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orange Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Orange County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Index to Eager's history of Orange County (New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Orange County, New York : containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and r (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Rockland and Orange Counties, New York : containing portraits and biographical sketches of (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Orange County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- An outline history of Orange County : with an enumeration of the names of its towns, villages, rivers, creeks, lakes, ponds, mo (search.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orange Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orange County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Orange (cyndislist.com)
- Orange County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Orange Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orange County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orange Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orange Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Orange Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orange Co. NY Military Records
Orange Co. NY Schools & Directories