Morris County, New Jersey
Morris County was established on March 15, 1739 from Hunterdon County. The county was named in honor of Colonel Lewis Morris (1671–1746), colonial governor of New Jersey at the time of the county's formation .
The Morris County Seat is located in Morristown plus the county government website is www.co.morris.nj.us/
Locales surrounding Morris County are Sussex County (north), Passaic County (northeast), Essex County (east), Union County (east), Somerset County (south), Hunterdon County (southwest), Warren County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Morris County are made up of Boonton, Dover, Morristown. Communities include Budd Lake, Cedar Knolls, Cedar Lake, Convent Station, Flanders, Green Pond, Green Village, Hibernia, Lake Hiawatha, Lake Swannanoa, Lake Telemark, Landing, Long Valley, Mount Tabor, New Vernon, Pine Brook, Port Morris, Stirling, Succasunna-Kenvil, Towaco, Union Hill, Whippany, White Meadow Lake.
Townships include Boonton, Chatham, Chester, Denville, East Hanover, Hanover, Harding, Jefferson, Long Hill, Mendham, Mine Hill, Montville, Morris, Mount Olive, Parsippany-Troy Hills, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, Washington. Boroughs include Butler, Chatham, Chester, Florham Park, Kinnelon, Lincoln Park, Madison, Mendham, Morris Plains, Mount Arlington, Mountain Lakes, Netcong, Rockaway, Riverdale, Victory Gardens, Wharton.
Morris County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (missing), 1810 (missing), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morris Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morris Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morris Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research.
Morris County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morris County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New Jersey (raogk.org)
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morris County Historical Society, 68 Morris Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960; (201) 267-3465
- Morris Area Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 105, Convent Station, NJ 07961-0105
- Boonton Township, Historical Society of, Rd 2, Box 152, Boonton
- Chatham Historical Society, 24 Southern Boulevard, Chatham 07928-0262
- Chester Historical Society, P.O. Box 376, Chester
- Cornish Heritage Society - East, Wharton, New Jersey 07885
- Denville Historical Society, Diamond Spring Rd, Denville, NJ 07834; 973-625-1165
- Harding Township Historical Society,16 Village Road New Vernon, NJ 07976; (973) 292-3661
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Society, PO Box 668, Landing, NJ 07850; 973-398-2616
- The Joint Free Library of Morristown, 1 Miller Road, P.O. Box 267, Morristown, NJ 07960.
- Rockaways, Historical Society Of, Mount Hope Rd Rockaway, NJ 07866, (973) 366-6730
- Morris County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morris County
- Morris County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morris County
- USGenWeb Archives for Morris County (usgwarchives.net)
Morris County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the advantages of Morris County court, probate, and land records data as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and worries of the many New Jersey citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least some elements of their lives in the Morris County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of employees will help individuals in finding the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Morris county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Early Surrogate’s files and books, circuit court and court of common pleas records, naturalizations, marriages (1795 - 1876), and other material are located at the Morris County Records Center and Archives, 300 Mendham Rd., Morristown, NJ 07960, which should be contacted before a visit.
- Morris County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Washington & Court Streets, Morristown, NJ 07963-0910
- Morris County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Address: 10 Court Street, P O Box 315, Morristown, NJ 07963-0315
- Phone: 973-829-8219
- Land Records: 1765 mortgages /1785 deeds
- Marriage Records: 1765
- Morris County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Address: 10 Court Street P.O. Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963-0900
- Phone: 973-285-6500
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans' court minutes /1804 surrogates' records
- Morris County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies ofBirth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Morris County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Morris County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most popular Morris County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Morris Co. NJ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morris Co. NJ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morris Co. NJ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morris Co. NJ Census Records
Morris Co. NJ Cemeteries & Graveyards
- New Jersey Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Morris County, New Jersey Cemetery Inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Rockaway records of Morris County, N.J., families : cemetery records, church history, military records, local history, genealog (search.ancestry.com)
- Morristown, N.J., tomb stone inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions on the tomb stones and monuments in the graveyards at Whippany and Hanover (search.ancestry.com)
- Morris Co., New Jersey Graves (findagrave.com)
- Morris County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Morris Co., New Jersey Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Morris County, New Jersey (topozone.com)
- Morris Co., New Jersey Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Morris Co. NJ Church & Bible Records
- New Jersey Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- History of the First Presbyterian Church, Morristown, N.J. (search.ancestry.com)
- Reformed Dutch Church records of Pompton Plains, pages 1-210 : records of Montville, pages 211-258 : typescript, (search.ancestry.com)
- Hardwick and Mendham Monthly Meeting & Warren and Morris Counties, New Jersey: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the First Reformed Church at Pompton Plains, New Jersey : typescript (carbon), (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison : containing a historical sketch of Drew Seminary, also a list of churches, lodges, city officials, etc. and other info (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Millbrook and Walnut Grove (Mount Freedom) Methodist Episcopal Churches of Randolph Township (search.ancestry.com)
- Church members, marriages & baptisms, at Hanover, Morris Co., N.J. during the pastorate of Rev. Jacob Green, and the settlement (search.ancestry.com)
- Record of baptisms and members of the True Dutch Reformed Church at Montville, N.J. : typescript (carbon copy) (search.ancestry.com)
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Morris County, New Jersey (topozone.com)
- Morris County, New Jersey Church Books (amazon.com)
Morris Co. NJ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morris Co. NJ General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New Jersey
- Morris County, New Jersey Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Morris County master plan (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to names mentioned in the History of Morris County, New Jersey published by W. Munsell & Co., 1882 (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to the names in History of Morris County, N.J. (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to Rockaway records of Morris County, New Jersey families by J. Percy Crayon, Rockaway, N.J., 1902. (search.ancestry.com)
- Mountain Lakes, silver anniversary edition, 1936 (search.ancestry.com)
- Northwestern New Jersey : a history of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties (search.ancestry.com)
- A History of Morris County, New Jersey embracing upwards of two centuries, 1710-1913 (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and genealogical history of Morris County, New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- Historic Morristown, New Jersey : the story of its first century (search.ancestry.com)
- Morris County, New Jersey Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Morris Co. NJ Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Morris County, New Jersey (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New Jersey - Counties - Morris (cyndislist.com)
- Morris County New Jersey (genealogytrails.com)
- Morris Co. NJGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Morris County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Morris Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Morris Co. NJ Immigration & Naturalization
Morris Co. NJ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morris Co. NJ Military Records
Morris Co. NJ Schools & Directories
- Boyd's directory of Morristown, Dover, Madison, Boonton, Chatham, and Summit, 1899-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Morristown, New Jersey Directories, 1887-88, 1890-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lappin's Morris County (N.J.) directory for 1894-95 : containing the names and addresses of inhabitants of Morristown, Dover, (search.ancestry.com)
- Vogt Bros. complete Morris County, New Jersey, directory for 1897-98 : court, county, township, and municipal officers, associa (search.ancestry.com)
- The Morris County directory for 1875-76 : containing the names of the inhabitants of Morristown, Dover, Booton, together with a (search.ancestry.com)