Morris County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Morris County, New Jersey Facts
When was Morris County, NJ Created?
Morris County was established on March 15, 1739 from Hunterdon County. The county was named in honor of Colonel Lewis Morris (1671–1746), colonial governor of New Jersey at the time of the county's formation .
What is the County Seat of Morris County, NJ?
The County Seat is located in Morristown plus the county government website is www.co.morris.nj.us/
What counties are adjacent to Morris County, NJ?
Bordering Counties are Sussex County (north), Passaic County (northeast), Essex County (east), Union County (east), Somerset County (south), Hunterdon County (southwest), Warren County (west).
What cities and towns are in Morris County, NJ?
Cities and towns located in the County include Boonton, Dover, Morristown. Communities include Budd Lake, Cedar Knolls, Cedar Lake, Convent Station, Flanders, Green Pond, Green Village, Hibernia, Lake Hiawatha, Lake Swannanoa, Lake Telemark, Landing, Long Valley, Mount Tabor, New Vernon, Pine Brook, Port Morris, Stirling, Succasunna-Kenvil, Towaco, Union Hill, Whippany, White Meadow Lake.
What Townships are in Morris County, NJ?
Townships located in the County include Boonton, Chatham, Chester, Denville, East Hanover, Hanover, Harding, Jefferson, Long Hill, Mendham, Mine Hill, Montville, Morris, Mount Olive, Parsippany-Troy Hills, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, Washington. Boroughs include Butler, Chatham, Chester, Florham Park, Kinnelon, Lincoln Park, Madison, Mendham, Morris Plains, Mount Arlington, Mountain Lakes, Netcong, Rockaway, Riverdale, Victory Gardens, Wharton.
Morris County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Morris County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morris County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Morris County, NJ Census Records
What Morris County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Morris County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800 (missing), 1810 (missing), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morris Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morris Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morris Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Morris County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
Morris County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Morris County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Morris County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New Jersey Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Early Surrogate’s files and books, circuit court and court of common pleas records, naturalizations, marriages (1795 - 1876), and other material are located at the Morris County Records Center and Archives, 300 Mendham Rd., Morristown, NJ 07960, which should be contacted before a visit.
- Morris County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Washington & Court Streets, Morristown, NJ 07963-0910
- Morris County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Address: 10 Court Street, P O Box 315, Morristown, NJ 07963-0315
- Phone: 973-829-8219
- Land Records: 1765 mortgages /1785 deeds
- Marriage Records: 1765
- Morris County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Address: 10 Court Street P.O. Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963-0900
- Phone: 973-285-6500
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans' court minutes /1804 surrogates' records
- Morris County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Morris County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morris County, NJ?
A list of Morris County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Morris County Historical Society, 68 Morris Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960; (201) 267-3465
- Morris Area Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 105, Convent Station, NJ 07961-0105
- Boonton Township, Historical Society of, Rd 2, Box 152, Boonton
- Chatham Historical Society, 24 Southern Boulevard, Chatham 07928-0262
- Chester Historical Society, P.O. Box 376, Chester
- Cornish Heritage Society - East, Wharton, New Jersey 07885
- Denville Historical Society, Diamond Spring Rd, Denville, NJ 07834; 973-625-1165
- Harding Township Historical Society,16 Village Road New Vernon, NJ 07976; (973) 292-3661
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Society, PO Box 668, Landing, NJ 07850; 973-398-2616
- The Joint Free Library of Morristown, 1 Miller Road, P.O. Box 267, Morristown, NJ 07960.
- Rockaways, Historical Society Of, Mount Hope Rd Rockaway, NJ 07866, (973) 366-6730
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Morris County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Morris County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morris County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Morris Co. NJ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morris Co. NJ Cemeteries & Church Records
- New Jersey Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Morris County, New Jersey Cemetery Inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Rockaway records of Morris County, N.J., families : cemetery records, church history, military records, local history, genealog (search.ancestry.com)
- Morristown, N.J., tomb stone inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions on the tomb stones and monuments in the graveyards at Whippany and Hanover (search.ancestry.com)
- Morris Co., New Jersey Graves (findagrave.com)
- Morris County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Morris Co., New Jersey Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Morris County, New Jersey (topozone.com)
- Morris Co., New Jersey Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New Jersey Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- History of the First Presbyterian Church, Morristown, N.J. (search.ancestry.com)
- Reformed Dutch Church records of Pompton Plains, pages 1-210 : records of Montville, pages 211-258 : typescript, (search.ancestry.com)
- Hardwick and Mendham Monthly Meeting & Warren and Morris Counties, New Jersey: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the First Reformed Church at Pompton Plains, New Jersey : typescript (carbon), (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison : containing a historical sketch of Drew Seminary, also a list of churches, lodges, city officials, etc. and other info (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Millbrook and Walnut Grove (Mount Freedom) Methodist Episcopal Churches of Randolph Township (search.ancestry.com)
- Church members, marriages & baptisms, at Hanover, Morris Co., N.J. during the pastorate of Rev. Jacob Green, and the settlement (search.ancestry.com)
- Record of baptisms and members of the True Dutch Reformed Church at Montville, N.J. : typescript (carbon copy) (search.ancestry.com)
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Morris County, New Jersey (topozone.com)
- Morris County, New Jersey Church Books (amazon.com)
Morris Co. NJ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morris Co. NJ General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New Jersey
- Morris County, New Jersey Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Morris County master plan (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to names mentioned in the History of Morris County, New Jersey published by W. Munsell & Co., 1882 (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to the names in History of Morris County, N.J. (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to Rockaway records of Morris County, New Jersey families by J. Percy Crayon, Rockaway, N.J., 1902. (search.ancestry.com)
- Mountain Lakes, silver anniversary edition, 1936 (search.ancestry.com)
- Northwestern New Jersey : a history of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties (search.ancestry.com)
- A History of Morris County, New Jersey embracing upwards of two centuries, 1710-1913 (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and genealogical history of Morris County, New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- Historic Morristown, New Jersey : the story of its first century (search.ancestry.com)
- Morris County, New Jersey Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Morris Co. NJ Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Morris County, New Jersey (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New Jersey - Counties - Morris (cyndislist.com)
- Morris County New Jersey (genealogytrails.com)
- Morris Co. NJGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Morris County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Morris Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Morris Co. NJ Immigration & Naturalization
Morris Co. NJ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morris Co. NJ Military Records
Morris Co. NJ Schools & Directories
- Boyd's directory of Morristown, Dover, Madison, Boonton, Chatham, and Summit, 1899-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Morristown, New Jersey Directories, 1887-88, 1890-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lappin's Morris County (N.J.) directory for 1894-95 : containing the names and addresses of inhabitants of Morristown, Dover, (search.ancestry.com)
- Vogt Bros. complete Morris County, New Jersey, directory for 1897-98 : court, county, township, and municipal officers, associa (search.ancestry.com)
- The Morris County directory for 1875-76 : containing the names of the inhabitants of Morristown, Dover, Booton, together with a (search.ancestry.com)