Union County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Union County, New Jersey Facts
When was Union County, NJ Created?
Union County was established on March 19 1857 from Essex County (becoming effective on April 13, 1857).
Union County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Union County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Union County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Union County, NJ Census Records
What Union County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Union County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Union County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Union County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Union County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Union County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Union County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
- Union County Clerk
- Phone: 908-527-4787
- Land Records: 1857
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Union County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Phone: 908-527-4280 ra
- Probate Records: 1857
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Union County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Union County, NJ?
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cranford Historical Society, 38 Springfield Avenue, Cranford, NJ 07016; (908) 276-0082
- Union County Historical Society, 116 E. Fourth Ave., Roselle, NJ 07203; 908-245-9010
- Hillside Historical Society, 111 Conant St, Hillside, NJ 07205; Phone: (908) 353-8828
- New Providence Historical Society, 1350 Springfield Ave., New Providence 07974
- Plainfield, Historical Society, 602 West Front Street, Plainfield NJ
- Rahway Historical Society, 1632 St. Georges Ave., Rahway
- Springfield Historical Society, 126 Morris Ave, Springfield, NJ. Tel: 973-912-4464
- Summit Historical Society, 90 Butler Parkway, Summit, NJ 07901; 908-277-1747
- Westfield, Genealogical Society Of, 550 East Broad Street, Westfield
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Union County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Union County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Union County
- Union County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Union County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Union County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.