Morris County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Morris County, New Jersey Facts
When was Morris County, NJ Created?
Morris County was established on March 15, 1739 from Hunterdon County.
Morris County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Morris County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morris County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Morris County, NJ Census Records
What Morris County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Morris County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morris Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morris Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morris Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Morris County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Morris County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Morris County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Morris County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Morris County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Washington & Court Streets, Morristown, NJ 07963-0910
- Morris County Clerk
- Address: 10 Court Street, P O Box 315, Morristown, NJ 07963-0315
- Phone: 973-829-8219
- Land Records: 1765 mortgages /1785 deeds
- Marriage Records: 1765
- Morris County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Address: 10 Court Street P.O. Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963-0900
- Phone: 973-285-6500
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans’ court minutes /1804 surrogates’ records
- Morris County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Morris County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morris County, NJ?
A list of Morris County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Morris County Historical Society, 68 Morris Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960; (201) 267-3465
- Morris Area Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 105, Convent Station, NJ 07961-0105
- Boonton Township, Historical Society of, Rd 2, Box 152, Boonton
- Chatham Historical Society, 24 Southern Boulevard, Chatham 07928-0262
- Chester Historical Society, P.O. Box 376, Chester
- Cornish Heritage Society – East, Wharton, New Jersey 07885
- Denville Historical Society, Diamond Spring Rd, Denville, NJ 07834; 973-625-1165
- Harding Township Historical Society,16 Village Road New Vernon, NJ 07976; (973) 292-3661
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Society, PO Box 668, Landing, NJ 07850; 973-398-2616
- The Joint Free Library of Morristown, 1 Miller Road, P.O. Box 267, Morristown, NJ 07960.
- Rockaways, Historical Society Of, Mount Hope Rd Rockaway, NJ 07866, (973) 366-6730
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Morris County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morris County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morris County
- Morris County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Morris County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morris County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.