Platte County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Platte County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Platte Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Platte County was created on December 31, 1838 from part of the Platte Purchase. The county was named for the Platte River, a tributary of the Missouri River, which is in turn named for the French word "platte" meaning flat or shallow.
The Platte County Seat is situated in Platte City and in addition the county government website is www.co.platte.mo.us
Areas surrounding Platte County include Buchanan County (north), Clinton County (northeast), Clay County (east), Jackson County (southeast), Wyandotte County, Kansas (south), Leavenworth County, Kansas (southwest), Atchison County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Platte County include Camden Point, Dearborn, East Leavenworth, Edgerton, Farley, Ferrelview, Houston Lake, Iatan, Kansas City, Lake Waukomis, Northmoor, Parkville, Platte City, Platte Woods, Ridgely, Riverside, Tracy, Waldron, Weatherby Lake, Weston.
Platte County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Platte Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Platte Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Platte Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Platte Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Platte County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Platte County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Platte County Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 103, Platte City, MO 64079-0103; Ph: (816) 431-5121
- Northland Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 14121, Parkville, MO 64152; Phone: (816) 746-5725
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Park College Historical Society, Box 61, Park College, 8700 Northwest River Park Dr, Parkville, MO 64152-3795; Ph: (816) 741-2000, ext. 6285
- Weston Historical Museum Association, P.O. Box 266, 601 Main, Weston, MO 64098; Phone: (816) 386-2977
- Missouri River Frontier Museum, 128 South Main Street, Suite 412, Parkville, MO 64152; Phone: (816) 741-1482
- Platte County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Platte County
- Platte County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Platte County
- USGenWeb Archives for Platte County
Platte County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Platte County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Platte County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Platte County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse destroyed 1861 during Civil War.
- Platte County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 328 Main St., Platte City, MO 64079
- Platte County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: Platte County Administration Building, 415 Third St., Suite 70, Platte City, MO 64079
- Phone: (816) 858-3326
- Marriage Records: 1839 (including Index to marriage records, 1838-1894; Marriage records, 1839-1917; Application for marriage licenses, 1913-1919)
- Land Records: 1839 (including Index to deeds, 1839-1890; Deed records, 1839-1895)
- Platte County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (816) 858-2232
- Probate Records: 1839 (including Index to probate records, 1839-1 936; Probate records) 1839-1887; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1849-1894; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1852-1891; Settlement records, 1872-1902; Probate packets, 1894; Will records, 1840-1933)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1839 (including Circuit court records, 1839-1887; Index to naturalization records, 1846-1886; Naturalization records, 1846-1886 and 1905-1924; Declarations of naturalizations, 1907-1926)
- Platte County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Address: Platte County Administration Building, 415 Third St., Platte City, MO 64079
- Phone: (816) 858-3340
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–87
- Platte County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Platte County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Platte County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Platte County genealogy or family history related sites.
Platte Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Platte Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Platte Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Platte Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Platte Co. MO Census Records
Platte Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Platte Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Platte Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Platte Co. MO General and History Websites
Platte Co. MO Military Records
Platte Co. MO Schools & Directories