Buchanan County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Buchanan County, Missouri Facts
When was Buchanan County, MO Created?
Buchanan County was created on December 31, 1838 from part of the Platte Purchase.
What is the County Seat of Buchanan County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Saint Joseph and in addition the county government website is unknown
Buchanan County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Buchanan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Buchanan County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Buchanan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Buchanan County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Buchanan County, MO Census Records
What Buchanan County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Buchanan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Buchanan Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Buchanan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Buchanan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Buchanan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Buchanan County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Buchanan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Buchanan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Buchanan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Buchanan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 411 Jules St., St. Joseph, MO 64501
- Buchanan County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (816)271-1437
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Land Records: 1839
- Buchanan County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (816) 271-1462
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court & Divorce Records: 1839
- Buchanan County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (816)271-1412
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93
- Buchanan County, Missouri Taxpayers, 1891-95, 1901
- Buchanan County, Missouri Taxpayers, 1896-1900
- Buchanan County, Missouri Taxpayers, 1887-90
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Buchanan County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Buchanan County, MO?
A list of Buchanan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Benton County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1646, Philomath, OR 97370
- Saint Joseph Historical Society, P.O. Box 246, Third and Poulin Streets, St. Joseph, MO 64502
- Saint Joseph Public Library, Central Branch, 927 Felix, St. Joseph, MO 64501; (816) 232-7729
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 382, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 233-0524
- St. Joseph Museum, P.O. Box 128, 1100 Charles, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 232-8471
- Pony Express Historical Association, Box 1022, 1202 Penn Street, St. Joseph, MO 64503; Phone: (816) 232-8206
- Knea-Von Black Archive and Museum, 1901 Messanie Street, St. Joseph, MO 64507; Phone: (816) 233-6211
- National Military Heritage Society, 701 Messanie Street, St. Joseph, MO 64501-2200, Phone: (816) 233-4321
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Buchanan County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Buchanan County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Buchanan County
- Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Buchanan County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Buchanan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.