Leavenworth County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Leavenworth County, Kansas Facts
When was Leavenworth County, KS Created?
Leavenworth County was established on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Gen. Henry Leavenworth (1783-1834), U.S. Army. Leavenworth, directed to establish a military post on the east bank of the Missouri River near the confluence of the Little Platte, instead selected a site on high ground on the west bank to establish Cantonment Leavenworth, later renamed Fort Leavenworth..
What cities and towns are in Leavenworth County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Leavenworth, Lansing, Tonganoxie, Basehor, Linwood, Easton, Bonner Springs.
Leavenworth County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Leavenworth County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Leavenworth County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Leavenworth County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Leavenworth county, Kansas, Marriage Records, 1900-1920
- Leavenworth County, Kansas Burials, 1954-58, 1963-70
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Leavenworth County, KS Census Records
What Leavenworth County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Leavenworth County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Leavenworth Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Leavenworth Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Leavenworth Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Leavenworth County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Leavenworth County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Leavenworth County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Leavenworth County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 300 Walnut Street, Leavenworth, KS 66048-2725; Phone: (913) 684-0400.
- Leavenworth County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1887-1911, Marriage Records from 1855 and Death Records from 1887-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Leavenworth County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1855. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Leavenworth County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1855 and Court Records from 1856. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Leavenworth, Kansas, U.S. Penitentiary, Name Index to Inmate Case Files, 1895-1931
- Leavenworth County, Kansas Tax Payers, 1900-1920
- Leavenworth, Kansas Tax List, 1895-97, 1899-1900
- BLM Land Records
Leavenworth County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Leavenworth County, KS?
A list of Leavenworth County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Leavenworth County Genealogy Society, (defunct)
- Search for Leavenworth Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Leavenworth County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Leavenworth County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Leavenworth County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Leavenworth County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Leavenworth County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.