Hardin County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hardin County, Kentucky Facts
When was Hardin County, KY Created?
Hardin County was created on December 15, 1792 from Nelson County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Hardin (1753–1792), pioneer .
What is the County Seat of Hardin County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Elizabethtown additionally, the county government website is www.hcky.org
What counties are adjacent to Hardin County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Harrison County, Indiana (north), Jefferson County (northeast), Bullitt County (northeast), Nelson County (east), LaRue County (southeast), Hart County (south), Grayson County (southwest), Breckinridge County (west), Meade County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Hardin County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Elizabethtown, Glendale, Fort Knox, Radcliff, Sonora, Upton - Partly in LaRue County), Vine Grove, West Point, Cecilia, Rineyville, Eastview, Stephensburg.
Hardin County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Hardin County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hardin County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hardin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages and cemetery records) (search.ancestry.com)
- Hardin County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Hardin County, KY Census Records
What Hardin County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hardin County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hardin Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hardin Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hardin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hardin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Hardin County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Hardin County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Hardin County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Hardin County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. A fire destroyed records on 23 Dec 1864, and on 6 Dec 1932.
- Hardind County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 14 Public Sq., Elizabethtown, KY, 42702
- Phone: (270) 765-2171
- Marriage Records: 1793
- Land Records: 1793
- Probate Records: 1793
- Hardin County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Hardin County Justice Center, 120 E. Dixie Ave., Elizabethtown, KY 42701
- Phone: (270) 766-5000
- Court Records: 1793
- Hardin County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Hardin County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Hardin County USGenWeb Archives Project
Hardin County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hardin County, KY?
A list of Hardin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Hardin County Historical Society, 128 N. Main, Elizabethtown KY 42701
- Revolutionary War Roundtable, 23 Public Square, Elizabethtown KY 42701
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
Where can I connect with other Hardin County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hardin County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hardin County
- Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYHARDIN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hardin County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Hardin County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hardin County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Hardin Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hardin Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Hardin Co. KY General and History Websites
Hardin Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hardin Co. KY Military Records