Hardin County, Kentucky
Hardin County was established on December 15, 1792 from Nelson County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Hardin (1753–1792), pioneer .
Currently the Hardin County Seat is situated in Elizabethtown additionally, the county government website is www.hcky.org
Locations adjacent to Hardin County happen to be Harrison County, Indiana (north), Jefferson County (northeast), Bullitt County (northeast), Nelson County (east), LaRue County (southeast), Hart County (south), Grayson County (southwest), Breckinridge County (west), Meade County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Hardin County comprise of Elizabethtown, Glendale, Fort Knox, Radcliff, Sonora, Upton - Partly in LaRue County), Vine Grove, West Point, Cecilia, Rineyville, Eastview, Stephensburg.
Hardin County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hardin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Hardin County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hardin Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hardin Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hardin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hardin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hardin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hardin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Hardin County Historical Society, 128 N. Main, Elizabethtown KY 42701
- Revolutionary War Roundtable, 23 Public Square, Elizabethtown KY 42701
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYHARDIN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hardin County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hardin County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hardin County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hardin County
- Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hardin County
Hardin County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Hardin County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hardin County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Hardin county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A fire destroyed records on 23 Dec 1864, and on 6 Dec 1932.
- Hardind County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 14 Public Sq., Elizabethtown, KY, 42702
- Phone: (270) 765-2171
- Marriage Records: 1793
- Land Records: 1793
- Probate Records: 1793
- Hardin County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Hardin County Justice Center, 120 E. Dixie Ave., Elizabethtown, KY 42701
- Phone: (270) 766-5000
- Court Records: 1793
- Hardin County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Hardin County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Hardin County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hardin County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hardin County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hardin Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hardin Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hardin Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hardin Co. KY Census Records
Hardin Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hardin Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Hardin Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hardin Co. KY General and History Websites
Hardin Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Hardin Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hardin Co. KY Military Records