Breckinridge County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Breckinridge County, Kentucky Facts
When was Breckinridge County, KY Created?
Breckinridge County was created on December 7, 1799 from Hardin County.
Breckinridge County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Breckinridge County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Breckinridge County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Breckinridge County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Breckinridge County, KY Census Records
What Breckinridge County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Breckinridge County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Breckinridge Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Breckinridge Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breckinridge Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breckinridge Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Breckinridge County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Breckinridge County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Breckinridge County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Breckinridge County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Breckinridge County Clerk
- Address: Main St., Hardinsburg, KY, 40143
- Phone: (270) 756-2246
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1800
- Breckinridge County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Breckinridge County Courthouse, 208 S. Main St., P.O. Box 111, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-0111
- Phone: (270) 756-2239
- Court Records: 1803
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Breckinridge County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Inventory of the county archives of Kentucky: Breckinridge County
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Breckinridge County USGenWeb Archives Project
Breckinridge County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Breckinridge County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Breckinridge County Historical Society, P.O. Box 498, Hardinsburg, Kentucky 40143-0498
- Breckinridge County Historical Society Museum, Main St., Hardinsburg 40143; 270-756-2347 or 270-756-2867. Open Sat. 9-12. FREE. Across from the county courthouse in a former bank building, the museum contains artifacts from the entire county’s historic past.
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
Where can I connect with other Breckinridge County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Breckinridge County
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBRECKI. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Breckinridge County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Breckinridge County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Breckinridge County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Breckinridge Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kentucky Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kentucky historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kentucky Obituaries (1984 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Breckinridge County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Breckinridge Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Breckinridge Co., Kentucky Graves (findagrave.com)
- Breckinridge County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Breckinridge Co., Kentucky Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Breckinridge Co., Kentucky Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Church Books (amazon.com)
Breckinridge Co. KY General and History Websites
- Breckinridge County Kentucky (genealogytrails.com)
- Breckinridge County, KY History (kyenc.org) The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Breckinridge Co. KY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kentucky – Counties – Breckinridge (cyndislist.com)
- Breckinridge Co. KYGenweb (kykinfolk.com)
- Breckinridge County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Breckinridge Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Breckinridge Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kentucky Links and Information
- Breckinridge Co. D.O.T. 2011 Highway Map (transportation.ky.gov)
- 1895 Breckinridge County Map (livgenmi.com)