Henderson County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henderson County, Kentucky Facts
When was Henderson County, KY Created?
Henderson County was created on December 21, 1798 from Christian County.
What counties are adjacent to Henderson County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Posey County, Indiana, Vanderburgh County, Indiana, Warrick County, Indiana, Daviess County, McLean County, Webster County, Union County.
Henderson County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Henderson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henderson County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henderson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Henderson County, KY Census Records
What Henderson County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Henderson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henderson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Henderson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henderson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henderson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Henderson County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Henderson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Henderson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Henderson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Henderson County Clerk
- Address: 20 N Main St., Henderson, KY, 42419
- Phone: (270) 826-3906
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1799
- Henderson County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Henderson County Judicial Center, 5 N. Main St., P.O. Box 675, Henderson, KY 42419-0675
- Phone: (270) 826-2405
- Court Records: 1816
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Henderson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Henderson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Henderson County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henderson County, KY?
A list of Henderson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Henderson Co Historical & Genealogical Society,132-B South Green Street, P.O. Box 303, Henderson KY 42419-0303; (270) 830-7514
Where can I connect with other Henderson County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henderson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henderson County
- Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYHENDER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Henderson County, Kentucky, a mother county of Webster and Union Counties, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Henderson County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henderson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.