Jefferson County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, Kentucky Facts
When was Jefferson County, KY Created?
Jefferson County was created on May 1, 1780 as one of three original Kentucky counties .
What counties are adjacent to Jefferson County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Clark County, Indiana, Oldham County, Shelby County, Spencer County, Bullitt County, Hardin County, Harrison County, Indiana, Floyd County, Indiana.
Jefferson County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Jefferson County, KY Census Records
What Jefferson County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson County Clerk
- Address: 527 West Jefferson St., Ste. 105, Louisville, KY, 40202
- Phone: (502) 574-5566
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1783
- Probate Records: 1784
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Louis D. Brandeis Hall of Justice, 600 W. Jefferson St., Louisville, KY 40202
- Phone: (502) 595-3055
- Court Records: 1780
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Jefferson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Jefferson County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, KY?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Jeffersontown & Southeast Jefferson County Historical Society, 2432 Merriwood Drive, Jeffersontown KY 40299
- Louisville Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5164, Louisville KY 40205
- Louisville Civil War Roundtable, P.O. Box 1861, Louisville KY 40201
- The Filson Historical Society , 1310 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40208; Phone: (502) 635-5083, FAX: (502) 635-5086
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Louisville, 3304 Furman Blvd, Louisville KY 40220
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- ARCHIVES/RECORDS DEPARTMENT, 514 West Liberty Street (Room 100), (Old Jail Building)
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYJEFFER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jefferson County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.