Shelby County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Shelby County, Kentucky Facts
When was Shelby County, KY Created?
Shelby County was created on June 23, 1792 from Jefferson County.
Shelby County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Shelby County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Shelby County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Shelby County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Shelby County, KY Census Records
What Shelby County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Shelby County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Shelby Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Shelby Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shelby Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shelby Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Shelby County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Shelby County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Shelby County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Shelby County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Shelby County Clerk
- Address: 501 Washington St., Shelbyville, KY, 40066
- Phone: (502) 633-4410
- Marriage Records: 1792
- Land Records: 1792
- Probate Records: 1794
- Shelby County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Shelby County Judicial Center, 401 Main St., Suite 101, Shelbyville, KY 40065
- Phone: (502) 633-1287
- Court Records: 1804
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Shelby County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Shelby County, Kentucky Wills: 1794-1817
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Shelby County USGenWeb Archives Project
Shelby County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Shelby County, KY?
A list of Shelby County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Shelby County Historical Society, P.O. Box 444, Shelbyville KY 40066
Where can I connect with other Shelby County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Shelby County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Shelby County
- Shelby County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYSHELBY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Shelby County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Shelby County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Shelby County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.