Greenup County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Greenup County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Greenup Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Greenup County was established on December 12, 1803 from Mason County. Currently the county was named in honor of Christopher Greenup, third Governor of Kentucky (1804–1808) .
Currently the Greenup County Seat is situated in Greenup additionally, the county government website is www.greenupcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Greenup County happen to be Scioto County, Ohio (north), Lawrence County, Ohio (east), Boyd County (southeast), Carter County (southwest), Lewis County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Greenup County comprise of Bellefonte, Flatwoods, Greenup, Raceland, Russell, South Shore, Worthington, Wurtland.
Greenup County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Greenup Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Greenup Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greenup Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greenup Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Greenup County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Greenup County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Greenup County Historical Society, 614 Main Street, Greenup, KY 41144-1036; (606) 473-6514; The Greenup County Genealogy & Historical Society meetings are open to the public and are held the fourth Thursday of every month in the community room of the Greenup County Public Library. Meeting times are November - March at 6:00 pm and April - October at 7:00pm.
- KYGREENU. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Greenup County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greenup County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Greenup County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greenup County
- Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Greenup County
Greenup County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Greenup County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Greenup County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Greenup County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Greenup County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 301 Main St., Greenup, KY, 41144
- Phone: (606) 473-7394
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Land Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1822
- Greenup County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Greenup County Courthouse Annex, 101 Harrison St., P.O. Box 676, Greenup, KY 41144-0676
- Phone: (606) 473-9869
- Court Records: 1807
- Greenup County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Greenup County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Greenup County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Greenup County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Greenup County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Greenup Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greenup Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Greenup Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Greenup Co. KY Census Records
Greenup Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Greenup Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Greenup Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Greenup Co. KY General and History Websites
Greenup Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Greenup Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greenup Co. KY Military Records