Greenup County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Greenup County, Kentucky Facts
When was Greenup County, KY Created?
Greenup County was created on December 12, 1803 from Mason County. Currently the county was named in honor of Christopher Greenup, third Governor of Kentucky (1804–1808) .
What is the County Seat of Greenup County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Greenup additionally, the county government website is www.greenupcounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Greenup County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Scioto County, Ohio (north), Lawrence County, Ohio (east), Boyd County (southeast), Carter County (southwest), Lewis County (west).
What cities and towns are in Greenup County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bellefonte, Flatwoods, Greenup, Raceland, Russell, South Shore, Worthington, Wurtland.
Greenup County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Greenup County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Greenup County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Greenup County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Greenup County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Greenup County, KY Census Records
What Greenup County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Greenup County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Greenup Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Greenup Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greenup Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greenup Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Greenup County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Greenup County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Greenup County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Greenup County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Greenup County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 301 Main St., Greenup, KY, 41144
- Phone: (606) 473-7394
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Land Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1822
- Greenup County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Greenup County Courthouse Annex, 101 Harrison St., P.O. Box 676, Greenup, KY 41144-0676
- Phone: (606) 473-9869
- Court Records: 1807
- Greenup County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Greenup County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Greenup County, Kentucky Will Records: 1822-1843
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Greenup County USGenWeb Archives Project
Greenup County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Greenup County, KY?
A list of Greenup County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Greenup County Historical Society, 614 Main Street, Greenup, KY 41144-1036; (606) 473-6514; The Greenup County Genealogy & Historical Society meetings are open to the public and are held the fourth Thursday of every month in the community room of the Greenup County Public Library. Meeting times are November - March at 6:00 pm and April - October at 7:00pm.
Where can I connect with other Greenup County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greenup County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greenup County
- Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYGREENU. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Greenup County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Greenup County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Greenup County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Greenup Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greenup Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Greenup Co. KY General and History Websites
Greenup Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greenup Co. KY Military Records