Boyd County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Boyd County, Kentucky Facts
Boyd County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Boyd County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Boyd County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Boyd County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Boyd County, KY Census Records
What Boyd County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Boyd County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Boyd Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Boyd Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Boyd Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Boyd Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Boyd County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Boyd County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Boyd County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Boyd County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Boyd County Clerk
- Address: 2800 Louisa Ave, Catlettsburg, KY, 41129
- Phone: (606) 739-5116
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1860
- Boyd County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Boyd County Judicial Center, 2800 Louisa St., P.O. Box 688, Catlettsburg, KY 41129-0688
- Phone: (606) 739-4131
- Court Records: 1860
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Boyd County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Boyd County USGenWeb Archives Project
Boyd County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Boyd County, KY?
A list of Boyd County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Eastern KY Genealogical Society, Box 1544, Ashland, KY 41105-1544; Dues are $10.00 per yr. Publication TreeShaker quarterly
- Boyd County Public Library, Minnie Crawford Winder Room, 1740 Central Avenue, Ashland, KY 41101
Where can I connect with other Boyd County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boyd County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Boyd County
- Boyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBOYD. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Boyd County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Boyd County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Boyd County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.