Marion County, Indiana
Genealogy and Facts
Marion County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Marion Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Marion County was founded on April 1, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Francis Marion, American Revolutionary War hero .
The Marion County Seat is located in Indianapolis also, the county government website is www.indy.gov .
Counties bordering Marion County are Hamilton County (north), Hancock County (east), Shelby County (southeast), Johnson County (south), Morgan County (southwest), Hendricks County (west), Boone County (northwest).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Marion County include Beech Grove, Clermont, Crows Nest, Homecroft, Indianapolis, Lawrence, Meridian Hills, N. Crows Nest, Rocky Ripple, Southport, Speedway, Spring Hill, Warren Park, West Newton, Williams Creek, Wynnedale.
Townships located in Marion County include Pike, Wayne, Decatur, Washington, Center, Perry, Lawrence, Warren, Franklin.
Marion County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marion Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marion County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marion County Historian, David G. Vanderstel, 4415 Broadway St., Indianapolis, IN 46205-1847, Home Phone: (317) 926-6752
- Beech Grove Historical Society, c/o Beech Grove Library, 1102 Main St., Beech Grove, IN 46107-1595; Phone: (317) 786-1905
- Decatur Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 42, West Newton, IN 46183-0042
- Franklin Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 39015, Indianapolis, IN 46239-0015; Phone: (317) 862-8822
- Genealogical Society of Marion County, P.O. Box 2292, Indianapolis, IN 46206-2292
- Indianapolis Firefighters Historical Society, 748 Massachusetts Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204-1609; Phone: (317) 262-5161
- Irvington Historical Society, 5350 University Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46(219) 7009
- Marion County Historical Society, P.O. Box 2223, Indianapolis, IN 46206
- Perry Township-Southport Historical Society, 6548 Orinoco Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46227-4820; Phone: (317) 787-5157
- Pike Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 78645, Indianapolis, IN 46278-0645; Phone: (317) 299-8460
- Wayne Township Historical Society, 1155 S. High School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241; Phone: (317) 299-7857
- Marion County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marion County
- Marion County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marion County
- USGenWeb Archives for Marion County
Marion County Courthouse and Government Records
Marion County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Marion County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Marion County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marion county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
Some materials have been microfilmed and are available in the City Microfilm & Archives Division that is located in the sub-basement down the hall from Records. Along with the Records Division, public access terminals are located in the Probate Division room 1741.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Marion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Marion County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Phone: (317) 327- 4740
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1822
- Marion County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 741 City-County Building, 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Phone: (317) 327-4020
- Land Records: 1822
- Marion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Marion County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Marion County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Marion County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Marion County genealogy or family history related sites.
Marion Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marion Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Indiana
- The Indianapolis Star (Indianapolis, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indianapolis Daily Star, The (Indianapolis, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indianapolis Sunday Star, The (Indianapolis, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Indianapolis Newspaper Index, 1848-1991 (isl.lib.in.us) Select articles from 1848-1888 Indianapolis daily newspapers; heavily focused on deaths and marriages. Select articles from 1898-1991 about people, places, events, and topics in Indianapolis and the state of Indiana. Extremely limited for deaths; no coverage of marriages. Card file also available in the Microforms Area, second floor.
- Marion County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Marion County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Marion County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Marion County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Indiana Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
Marion Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marion Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marion Co. IN Census Records
Marion Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marion Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Marion Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marion Co. IN General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Indiana
- Marion County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Greater Indianapolis : the history, the industries, the institutions, and the people of a city of homes (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of prominent citizens of 1876 : with a few of the pioneers of the city and county who have passed away (search.ancestry.com)
- Early reminiscences of Indianapolis : with short biographical sketches of its early citizens, and a few of the prominent busine (search.ancestry.com)
- Indianapolis : a historical and statistical sketch of the railroad city, a chronicle of its social, municipal, commercial and m (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Marion County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Marion Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Marion County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Marion Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Marion County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Marion (cyndislist.com)
- Marion County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Marion Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Marion County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Marion Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Marion Co. IN Military Records
Marion Co. IN Schools & Directories