OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Morgan County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Morgan County, Indiana Facts
When was Morgan County, IN Created?
Morgan County was established on February 15, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase and Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Daniel Morgan, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Morgan County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Martinsville also, the county government website is www.morgancounty.in.gov/ .
What counties are adjacent to Morgan County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Hendricks County, Marion County, Johnson County, Brown County, Monroe County, Owen County, Putnam County.
What cities and towns are in Morgan County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bethany, Brooklyn, Martinsville, Monrovia, Mooresville, Morgantown, Paragon.
What Townships are in Morgan County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Adams, Ashland, Baker, Brown, Clay, Green, Gregg, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Ray, Washington.
Morgan County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Morgan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Morgan County Department of Health, 180 S. Main St., Ste 255, Martinsville, IN 46151-1988 ; Phone: 765-342-6621 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Morgan County, IN Census Records
What Morgan County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Morgan County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Morgan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Morgan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Mar. 1876, Some records destroyed. Saved: marriage and deed records from 1822, probate order books 1822-1836.
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 10 E Washington St, Martinsville 46151
- Morgan County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 342-1025
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1822
- Morgan County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-342-1077
- Land Records: 1822
- Morgan County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Morgan County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morgan County, IN?
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Morgan County Historian, Joanne R. Stuttgen, 759 E. Washington St., Martinsville, IN 46151-1646; Home Phone: (765) 349-1537
- Morgan County History and Genealogy Association, P.O. Box 1012, Martinsville, IN 46151-0012; Phone: (765) 342-0391
- Morgan County Historic Preservation Society, P.O. Box 1377, Martinsville 46151
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Morgan County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Morgan County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Morgan Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Indiana Links and Information
- Morgan County Township Map (stats.indiana.edu)
- 1895 Morgan County Map (livgenmi.com)
Morgan Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Indiana historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 – 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Morgan County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Morgan County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Morgan County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Morgan County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Morgan Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
- Morgan Co., Indiana Graves (findagrave.com)
- Indiana Pioneer Cemeteries Restoration Project (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Morgan County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Morgan Co., Indiana Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Morgan Co., Indiana Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Morgan County, Indiana Church Books (amazon.com)
Morgan Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
- The Indiana Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Morgan Co. IN General and History Websites
- Morgan County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown, Indiana : historical and biographical (search.ancestry.com)
- The pioneers of Morgan County : memoirs of Noah J. Major (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Morgan County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Morgan Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Morgan County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Morgan Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Morgan County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Indiana – Counties – Morgan (cyndislist.com)
- Morgan County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Morgan Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Morgan County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Morgan Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Morgan Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records Research Guide
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Morgan County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.