Marion County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Marion County, Indiana Facts
When was Marion County, IN Created?
Marion County was established on April 1, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Francis Marion, American Revolutionary War hero .
What is the County Seat of Marion County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Indianapolis also, the county government website is www.indy.gov .
What counties are adjacent to Marion County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Hamilton County, Hancock County, Shelby County, Johnson County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County.
What cities and towns are in Marion County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Beech Grove, Clermont, Crows Nest, Homecroft, Indianapolis, Lawrence, Meridian Hills, N. Crows Nest, Rocky Ripple, Southport, Speedway, Spring Hill, Warren Park, West Newton, Williams Creek, Wynnedale.
What Townships are in Marion County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Pike, Wayne, Decatur, Washington, Center, Perry, Lawrence, Warren, Franklin.
Marion County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Marion County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marion County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Marion County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Marion County Department of Health, 3838 N. Rural St., Indianapolis, IN 46205-2930 ; Phone: 317-221-2000 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- Marion County (Indianapolis) Death Index
- Web: Marion County, Indiana Marriages since 1925
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Marion County, IN Census Records
What Marion County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marion Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Marion County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Marion County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Marion County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Marion County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marion county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
Some materials have been microfilmed and are available in the City Microfilm & Archives Division that is located in the sub-basement down the hall from Records. Along with the Records Division, public access terminals are located in the Probate Division room 1741.
- Marion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Marion County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Phone: (317) 327- 4740
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1822
- Marion County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 741 City-County Building, 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Phone: (317) 327-4020
- Land Records: 1822
- Marion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Marion County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marion County, IN?
A list of Marion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Marion County Historian, David G. Vanderstel, 4415 Broadway St., Indianapolis, IN 46205-1847, Home Phone: (317) 926-6752
- Beech Grove Historical Society, c/o Beech Grove Library, 1102 Main St., Beech Grove, IN 46107-1595; Phone: (317) 786-1905
- Decatur Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 42, West Newton, IN 46183-0042
- Franklin Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 39015, Indianapolis, IN 46239-0015; Phone: (317) 862-8822
- Genealogical Society of Marion County, P.O. Box 2292, Indianapolis, IN 46206-2292
- Indianapolis Firefighters Historical Society, 748 Massachusetts Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204-1609; Phone: (317) 262-5161
- Irvington Historical Society, 5350 University Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46(219) 7009
- Marion County Historical Society, P.O. Box 2223, Indianapolis, IN 46206
- Perry Township-Southport Historical Society, 6548 Orinoco Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46227-4820; Phone: (317) 787-5157
- Pike Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 78645, Indianapolis, IN 46278-0645; Phone: (317) 299-8460
- Wayne Township Historical Society, 1155 S. High School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241; Phone: (317) 299-7857
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Marion County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Marion County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marion County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Marion Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marion Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- The Indianapolis Star (Indianapolis, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indianapolis Daily Star, The (Indianapolis, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indianapolis Sunday Star, The (Indianapolis, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Indianapolis Newspaper Index, 1848-1991 (isl.lib.in.us) Select articles from 1848-1888 Indianapolis daily newspapers; heavily focused on deaths and marriages. Select articles from 1898-1991 about people, places, events, and topics in Indianapolis and the state of Indiana. Extremely limited for deaths; no coverage of marriages. Card file also available in the Microforms Area, second floor.
- Marion County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Marion County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Marion County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Marion County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Marion Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Marion Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marion Co. IN General and History Websites
- Marion County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Greater Indianapolis : the history, the industries, the institutions, and the people of a city of homes (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of prominent citizens of 1876 : with a few of the pioneers of the city and county who have passed away (search.ancestry.com)
- Early reminiscences of Indianapolis : with short biographical sketches of its early citizens, and a few of the prominent busine (search.ancestry.com)
- Indianapolis : a historical and statistical sketch of the railroad city, a chronicle of its social, municipal, commercial and m (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Marion County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Marion Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Marion County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Marion Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Marion County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Marion (cyndislist.com)
- Marion County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Marion Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Marion County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Marion Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Marion Co. IN Military Records
Marion Co. IN Schools & Directories