Shelby County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Shelby County, Indiana Facts
When was Shelby County, IN Created?
Shelby County was established on April 1, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Isaac Shelby, Governor of Kentucky .
What cities and towns are in Shelby County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Edinburgh, Fairland, Morristown, St. Paul, Shelbyville.
What Townships are in Shelby County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Addison, Brandywine, Hanover, Hendricks, Jackson, Liberty, Marion, Moral, Noble, Shelby, Sugar Creek, Union, Van Buren, Washington.
Shelby County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Shelby County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Shelby County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Shelby County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Shelby County Department of Health, 1600 E, St. Road 44, #B, Shelbyville, IN 46176-1844 ; Phone: 317-392-6470 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Shelby County, IN Census Records
What Shelby County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Shelby Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shelby Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shelby Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Shelby County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Shelby County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Shelby County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Shelby County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Shelby County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 407 S. Harrison Street, Shelbyville, IN 46176
- Phone: 317-392-6320
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1822
- Shelby County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 25 W. Polk St. Room 101, Shelbyville, IN 46176
- Phone: 317-392-6370
- Land Records: 1822
- Shelby County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Shelby County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Shelby County, IN?
A list of Shelby County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Shelby County Historian, Ron Hamilton, 309 E. Jackson St., Shelbyville, IN 46176-1704
- Joseph Boggs Society for Historic Preservation, P.O. Box 72, Boggstown, IN 46110-0072; Phone: (317) 835-7121
- Shelby County Historical Society (Louis H. and Lena Firn Grover Museum), 52 W. Broadway St., Shelbyville, IN 46176-1256; Phone: (317) 392-4634
- Shelby County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 434, Shelbyville, IN 46176; Phone: (317) 398-8773
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Shelby County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Shelby County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Shelby County
- Shelby County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Shelby County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Shelby County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.