Hamilton County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hamilton County, Indiana Facts
When was Hamilton County, IN Created?
Hamilton County was established on April 7, 1823 from Delaware New Purchase. This county was named for Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury and founding father .
What counties are adjacent to Hamilton County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Tipton County (North), Madison County (East), Hancock County (Southeast), Marion County (South), Boone County (West), Clinton County (Northwest).
What cities and towns are in Hamilton County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Arcadia, Atlanta, Carmel, Cicero, Fishers, Noblesville, Sheridan, Westfield.
What Townships are in Hamilton County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Adams, Clay, Delaware, Fall Creek, Jackson, Noblesville, Washington, Wayne, White River.
Hamilton County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Hamilton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hamilton County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hamilton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Hamilton County Department of Health, 18030 Foundation Dr, Suite A, Noblesville, IN 46060; Phone: (317) 776-8500; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Hamilton County, IN Census Records
What Hamilton County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hamilton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Hamilton County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hamilton County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Hamilton County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hamilton County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address:1 Hamilton County Sq, Noblesville, IN 46060
- Phone: (317) 776-9629
- Marriage Records: 1833
- Probate Records: 1823
- Court Records: ?
- Hamilton County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 33 N 9th St, Suite 309, Noblesville, IN 46060
- Phone: (317) 776-9618
- Land Records: 1825
- Hamilton County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Hamilton County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hamilton County, IN?
A list of Hamilton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Hamilton County Historian, David Heighway, 140 N. 15th St., Noblesville, IN 46060-2610; Home Phone: (317) 773-2142
- Carmel Clay Historical Society, 211 1st St. SW, Carmel, IN 46032-2003; Phone: (317) 846-7117
- Hamilton County Genealogy Society, 111 Beechmont Drive., Carmel, IN 46032; Phone: (317) 846-5714
- Hamilton County Historical Society, P.O. Box 397, Noblesville, IN 46061-0397; Phone: (317) 770-0775
- Sheridan Historical Society, 308 S. Main St., Sheridan, IN 46069-1113; Phone: (317) 758-5054
- Westfield-Washington Historical Society, P.O. Box 103, Westfield, IN 46074-0103; Phone: (317) 804-5365
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Hamilton County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hamilton County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hamilton County
- Hamilton County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hamilton County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hamilton County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.