Tioga County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Tioga County, New York Facts
When was Tioga County, NY Created?
Tioga County was created on February 16, 1791 from Montgomery County.
What is the County Seat of Tioga County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Owego and in addition the county government website is tiogacountyny.com/
What counties are adjacent to Tioga County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Cortland County, Broome County, Susquehanna County, PA, Bradford County, PA, Chemung County, Tompkins County.
Tioga County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Tioga County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tioga County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Tioga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Tioga County, NY Census Records
What Tioga County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Tioga County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tioga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Tioga County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Tioga County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Tioga County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Tioga County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tioga County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. The explanation for the delay in the Surrogate’s records is not fully known, but some estate records during this period may have perished in an early fire in Spencer, once the county seat.
- Tioga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20 Court St., Owego, NY 13827
- Tioga County Clerk
- Address: 16 Court Street, PO Box 307, Owego, NY 13827
- Phone: 607-687-8660
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Tioga County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (607) 687-1303
- Probate Records: 1798
- Tioga County Historian
- Address: 16 Court Street, P.O. Box 307 (Mailing address), Owego, NY 13827
- Phone: (607) 687-8646
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Tioga County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tioga County, NY?
A list of Tioga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Tioga County Historical Society Museum and Genealogical Committee, 110-112 Front St., Owego, NY 13827, Phone: (607) 687-2460; 300,000 index card index to censuses, newspapers, family Bibles, family folders, local histories, published genealogies.
- Finger Lakes Genealogical Society, PO Box 581, Seneca Falls, New York 13148
- Crooked Lake Review, 6877 Van Amburg Road, Hammondsport, NY 14840; The Crooked Lake Review is a local history magazine for the Conhocton, Canisteo, Tioga, Chemung and Genesee river valleys, and for the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario regions of New York State.". This website deals with stories, histories and information dealing with people, events, and places in relationship to the area.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Tioga County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Tioga County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tioga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Tioga Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tioga Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Tioga Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tioga Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Tioga County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical gazetteer of Tioga County, New York, 1785-1888 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, and Schuyler Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a memorial history of Tioga County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Owego : some account of the early settlement of the village in Tioga County, N.Y., called Ah-wa-ga by the Indians, which name w (search.ancestry.com)
- Rural letters and other records of thought at leisure (search.ancestry.com)
- Tioga County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Tioga Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Tioga County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Tioga (cyndislist.com)
- Tioga County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Tioga Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Tioga County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Tioga Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Tioga Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Tioga Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tioga Co. NY Military Records
Tioga Co. NY Schools & Directories