OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Cortland County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Cortland County, New York Facts
When was Cortland County, NY Created?
Cortland County was created on April 8, 1808 from Onondaga County.
What is the County Seat of Cortland County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Cortland and in addition the county government website is www.cortland-co.org/
What counties are adjacent to Cortland County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Onondaga County, Madison County, Chenango County, Broome County, Tompkins County, Tioga County, Cayuga County.
Cortland County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Cortland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cortland County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cortland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Cortland County, NY Census Records
What Cortland County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cortland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cortland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cortland Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cortland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Cortland County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cortland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cortland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cortland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Cortland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 46 Greenbush St, Cortland, NY 13045
- Cortland County Clerk
- Phone: (607) 753-5021
- Land Records: ?
- Court Records: ?
- Cortland County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (607) 753-5355
- Probate Records: ?
- Cortland County Historian
- Address: 60 Central Avenue, Cortland, NY 13045
- Phone: (607) 753-5360
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Cortland County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cortland County, NY?
A list of Cortland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cortland County Historical Society, 25 Homer Avenue, Cortland, NY 13045
- Cortland Free Library, 32 Church St., Cortland, NY 13045; Phone: (607) 753-1042
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Cortland County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cortland County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Cortland County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cortland County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cortland County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Cortland Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- New York Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- New York historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 – 1992) (genealogybank.com)
- Cortland County, New York Books (amazon.com)
- Search New York Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Cortland Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide
- Rules, regulations and by-laws : together with a brief historical sketch of Cortland Rural Cemetery Association. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cortland Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Cortland County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Cortland Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Cortland Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cortland County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Cortland Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- New York Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Cortland Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Cortland County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Cortland County : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers (search.ancestry.com)
- Book of biographies : this volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of Cortland County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cortland County sesquicentennial celebration : July 20-26, 1958. (search.ancestry.com)
- Stories of Cortland County (search.ancestry.com)
- Festal gathering of the early settlers and present inhabitants of the town of Virgil, Cortland County, N.Y. : held at Virgil V (search.ancestry.com)
- Cortland County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Cortland Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Cortland County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – New York – Counties – Cortland (cyndislist.com)
- Cortland County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Cortland Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Cortland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Cortland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Cortland Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
- See Also Statewide Immigration and Naturalization Links for New York
- New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 (familysearch.org)
- Early New York Naturalizations (search.ancestry.com)
Cortland Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of New York Links and Information
- 1895 Cortland County Map (livgenmi.com)
Cortland Co. NY Military Records
- New York Military Records Research Guide
- New York, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 (familysearch.org)
- New York Civil War Records (1861-65) (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Military Records (Fold3.com) provides easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the New York both women and men who served. Perfect for Cortland County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Cortland Co. NY Schools & Directories
- Homer Ave. Methodist Episcopal Church Directory (search.ancestry.com)
- Gazetteer and business directory of Cortland County, N.Y., for 1869 (search.ancestry.com)