Chenango County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chenango County, New York Facts
When was Chenango County, NY Created?
Chenango County was created on March 15, 1798 from Herkimer County and Tioga County.
What is the County Seat of Chenango County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Norwich and in addition the county government website is www.co.chenango.ny.us/
What counties are adjacent to Chenango County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Madison County, Otsego County, Delaware County, Broome County, Cortland County.
Chenango County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Chenango County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chenango County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chenango County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Chenango County, NY Census Records
What Chenango County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chenango County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co.
Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co.
Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Chenango County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Chenango County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Chenango County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chenango County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chenango County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Chenango County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chenango County, NY?
A list of Chenango County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- The Chenango County Historical Society,
45 Rexford Street,
Norwich, NY 13815;
- Afton Historical Society, 116 Main Street, Afton, NY 13730, Phone: 607-639-1110
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Go-Won-Go Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Greene, New York
- Guilford Historical Society, Box 201, Guilford, NY 13780
- Norwich Civil War Round Table, Chenango County Historical Museum, 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY, 607-334-3313
- Unadilla Valley Railway Society and Museum, PO Box 791, New Berlin, NY 13411
- The Otis A Thompson-Local History Room, Guernsey Memorial Library, 3 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815, (607)-334-4034
- Moore Memorial Library, 59 Genesee Street, Greene, NY 13778, 607-656-9349
- Norwich City Historian, Hale Street, Norwich, NY, (607) 334-1218
- Earlville Free Library, 6 North Main St., Earlville, NY 13332, (315) 691-5931
- Oxford Historical Society and The Oxford Historical Museum, 1 Depot Street, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 821-1223
- Oxford Memorial Library, Fort Hill Park, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 843-6146
- Afton Museum, Afton, NY, 607-639-1625
- Coventry Museum, Coventry, NY, 607-656-9517
- Unadilla Valley Historical Museum/Mt Upton Historical Society, Route 8, PO Box 135, Mt Upton, NY 13809, 607-764-8375
- Norwich Pharmacal Co. Museum, Eaton Center, 19 Eaton Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815, 607-334-4839
- Plymouth Historical Society Depot, Plymouth, NY, 607-334-9721
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Chenango County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Chenango County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chenango County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Chenango Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chenango Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Chenango Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chenango Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Chenango County, New York Wikipedia
- Afton, NY History
- Bainbridge, NY History
- Columbus, NY History
- Coventry, NY History
- German, NY History
- Greene, NY History
- Guilford, NY History
- Lincklaen, NY History
- McDonough, NY History
- New Berlin, NY History
- North Norwich, NY History
- Norwich, NY History
- Otselic, NY History
- Oxford, NY History
- Pharsalia, NY History
- Pitcher, NY History
- Plymouth, NY History
- Preston, NY History
- Sherburne, NY History
- Smithville, NY History
- Smyrna, NY History
- History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some to its prominent men
- Annals of Oxford, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and early pioneers
- Souvenir of the Sherburne centennial celebration : and dedication of monument to the proprietors and early settlers, held on We
- Historical sketches of old New Berlin
- Reminiscences, anecdotes and statistics of the early settlers and the òlden time' in the town of Sherburne, Chenango County, N
- Chenango County, New York Wiki
- Chenango Co. NY Genealogy
- Family History Library
- Chenango County, New York
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Chenango
- Chenango County New York
- Chenango Co. NYGenweb
- Chenango County Genealogy Queries
- Chenango Co. Data Collections
Chenango Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Chenango Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chenango Co. NY Military Records
Chenango Co. NY Schools & Directories