Tompkins County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Tompkins County, New York Facts
Tompkins County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Tompkins County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tompkins County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Tompkins County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
You can also get vital records from the Tompkins County Health Department.
- Unpublished records of births, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, deaths
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Tompkins County, NY Census Records
What Tompkins County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Tompkins County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tompkins Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tompkins Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tompkins Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Tompkins County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Tompkins County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Tompkins County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tompkins County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Tompkins County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 320 N. Tioga Street, Ithaca, NY 14850
- Tompkins County Clerk
- Phone: 607-274-5431
- Land Records: 1817
- Court Records: 1817
- Tompkins County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 607-277-0622
- Probate Records: 1817
- Tompkins County Historian
- Address: 125 East Court Street, Ithaca, New York 14850
- Phone: 607-273-5298
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Tompkins County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tompkins County, NY?
A list of Tompkins County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Finger Lakes Genealogical Society, PO Box 581, Seneca Falls, New York 13148
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205 ; Member queries; surname research list; online resources; six meetings/year; publishes Tree Talks quarterly with annual index.
- Crooked Lake Review, 6877 Van Amburg Road, Hammondsport, NY 14840; “The Crooked Lake Review is a local history magazine for the Conhocton, Canisteo, Tioga, Chemung and Genesee river valleys, and for the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario regions of New York State.”. This website deals with stories, histories and information dealing with people, events, and places in relationship to the area.
- Tompkins County Public Library, Attention: Nancy Stoehr , 101 East Green Street, Ithaca, New York 14850, Phone: 607-272-4556; Local history, newspapers, books. Thompkins County Research Guidelines, Research Request Form
- John M. Olin Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853; Website offers a guide to Genealogical Research at Cornell.Resources include compiled genealogies, local histories, biographical dictionaries, maps, censuses, newspapers, city directories, church records, periodicals, heraldry, manuscripts, land records, and alumni records. Rare and Manuscript Collections
- The History Center, 401 E. State/MLK Jr. St., Ithaca, NY 14850 , Phone: (607) 273-8284; County Timeline, Books, Maps, vital records, family name files, pictures, and much more. Archivist; Research Librarian, Research and Reference Services
- Tompkins County Museum, 401 East State Street, Ithaca, NY 14850, Phone: (607) 273-8284, FAX: (607) 273-6107
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Tompkins County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tompkins County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Tompkins County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Tompkins County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tompkins County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.