Saratoga County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Saratoga County, New York Facts
When was Saratoga County, NY Created?
Saratoga County was created on February 7, 1791 from Albany County.
What counties are adjacent to Saratoga County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Warren County, Washington County, Rensselaer County, Albany County, Montgomery County, Fulton County, Schenectady County, Hamilton County.
Saratoga County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Saratoga County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Saratoga County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Saratoga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Index to marriage and death notices in the Saratoga Sentinel
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Saratoga County, NY Census Records
What Saratoga County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Saratoga County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Saratoga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saratoga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saratoga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Saratoga County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Saratoga County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Saratoga County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Saratoga County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Saratoga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 McMaster Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020
- Saratoga County Clerk
- Phone: 518-885-2213
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Saratoga County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 30 McMaster Street, Building 3, Ballston Spa NY 12020
- Phone: 518-884-4722
- Probate Records: 1791
- Saratoga County Historian
- Address: 40 McMaster Street, Ballston Spa, N.Y. 12020
- Phone: 518-884-4749
- Saratoga County, New York Wills, 1796-1805
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Saratoga County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Saratoga County, NY?
A list of Saratoga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Saratoga County Historical Society, 6 Charlton Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020, Phone: (518) 885-4000; Surname File List; Collections
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Brookside Museum, 6 Charlton Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020, Phone: (518) 885-4000
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Saratoga County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Saratoga County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Saratoga County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Saratoga County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Saratoga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.