Fulton County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Fulton County, New York Facts
When was Fulton County, NY Created?
Fulton County was created on April 18, 1838 from Montgomery County.
What is the County Seat of Fulton County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Johnstown and in addition the county government website is fultoncountyny.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Fulton County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Hamilton County, Saratoga County, Montgomery County, Herkimer County.
Fulton County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Fulton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Fulton County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Fulton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Fulton County, NY Census Records
What Fulton County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Fulton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fulton Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Fulton County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Fulton County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Fulton County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Fulton County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Fulton County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Fulton County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Fulton County, NY?
A list of Fulton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- The Adirondack Genealogical – Historical Society, 100 Main St., Saranac Lake, NY, 12983 Phone: 518-891-0807; they have an obituary database extracted from the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and will search for you by phone. They also have some church records, census records on Franklin and surrounding counties, local directories, and cemetery information up to 2000.
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175; They staff a genealogy support desk at the Town of Colonie Library.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205; Member queries; surname research list; online resources; six meetings/year; publication: Tree Talks quarterly with annual index.
- Mohawk Valley Library System Holdings at these libraries include account books, business records & ledgers; atlases & maps; bibles; biography, surname & obituary files; census records; cemetery, marriage, military & pension records; church & county histories; city directories; DAR lineage books; diaries; ephemera; gazetteers; genealogical family charts; letters & personal papers; newspapers; notebooks; pamphlets; photographs; printed books; scrapbooks; watercolors & objets d'art. The focus of these collections are the historical persons and places in the libraries' service area.,
- Fulton County Museum, 237 North Kingsboro Avenue, Gloversville, NY 12078-1428, Phone: 518-725-2203,
- Adirondack Museum Library, P. O. Box 99, Blue Mountain Lake, New York 12812, Phone: 518-352-7311; Collections: include books, manuscripts, maps, periodicals, microforms, and ephemera related to the Adirondack Mountains. It is strongly encouraged to make an appointment.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Fulton County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Fulton County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fulton County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Fulton Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fulton Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Fulton Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fulton Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Fulton County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Fulton County : embracing early discoveries, the advance of civilization, the labors and triumphs of Sir William Joh (search.ancestry.com)
- Compendium of Early Mohawk Valley Families (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Montgomery and Fulton Counties, N.Y. : with illustrations descriptive of scenery, private residences, public buildin (search.ancestry.com)
- Gloversville, or, The model village : a poem, with an appendix containing a succinct history of the same : also, biographical s (search.ancestry.com)
- Muskets to missiles : Johnstown bi-centennial, August 17-23, 1958, Johnstown, New York. (search.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fulton Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Fulton County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Fulton (cyndislist.com)
- Fulton County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Fulton Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Fulton County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Fulton Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Fulton Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Fulton Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fulton Co. NY Military Records
Fulton Co. NY Schools & Directories