Washington County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, New York Facts
When was Washington County, NY Created?
Washington County was created on March 12, 1772 from Albany County (originally named Charlotte County, renamed in 1784).
What counties are adjacent to Washington County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Essex County, Addison County, VT, Rutland County, VT, Bennington County, VT, Rensselaer County, Saratoga County, Warren County.
Washington County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Washington County, NY Census Records
What Washington County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Washington County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Washington County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 383 Broadway, Fort Edward, NY 12828
- Washington County Clerk
- Phone: 518-746-2170
- Land Records: 1774
- Court Records: 1774
- Washington County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 518–746-2545, or 518–746–2526
- Probate Records: 1787
- Washington County Historian
- Address: Washington County Municipal Center, Building A,Records Room , 383 Broadway Fort Edward, New York 12828
- Phone: (518) 746-2178
- Abstracts of wills of Washington County, New York
- Index of wills of Washington County, N.Y.
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Washington County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, NY?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Washington County Historical Society , Wing-Northup House, 167 Broadway, Fort Edward, NY 12828-1709, Telephone: (518) 747-9108
- Washington County Archives, Washington County Municipal center building A , 383 Broadway Fort Edward, New York 12828, Telephone: (518) 746-2136
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Southern Adirondack Library System
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Washington County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.