Essex County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Essex County, New York Facts
When was Essex County, NY Created?
Essex County was created on March 1, 1799 and formed from Clinton County.
Essex County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Essex County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Essex County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Essex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Essex County, NY Census Records
What Essex County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Essex County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Essex Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Essex County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Essex County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Essex County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Essex County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Essex County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 7559 Court Street, Elizabethtown, NY 12932
- Essex County Clerk
- Phone: 518-873-3600
- Land Records: 1799
- Court Records: 1799
- Essex County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 518-873-3384
- Probate Records: 1803
- Essex County Historian
- Address: 7590 Court Street, Elizabethtown, NY 12932
- Phone: (518) 873-6466
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Essex County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Essex County, NY?
A list of Essex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Essex County Historical Society / Brewster Memorial Research Library & Archives, 7590 Court St., PO Box 428, Adirondack History Center Museum, Elizabethtown NY, 12932; Telephone: (518) 873-6466
- Clinton Essex Franklin Library System consists of 34 public libraries in the counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin. Each library has access to genealogical databases – especially newspaper sites. Many are accessible with your library card from home.
- Adirondack History Center Museum, 7590 Court Street, P.O. Box 428, Elizabethtown, NY 12932, Phone: 518-873-6466,
- Fort Ticonderoga/Thompson-Pell Research Center, Fort Road, Ticonderoga, NY 12883, Phone: 518-585-2821,
- Keene Valley Library Archives, 1796 NYS Rt. 73, Keene Valley, NY 12943, Phone: 518-576-4335,
- Lake Placid Public Library, 2471 Main Street, Lake Placid, NY 12946, Phone: 518-523-3200,
- Penfield Foundation Museum, Ironville Road, Crown Point, NY 12928,
- Sherman Free Libary, 20 Church Street, Port Henry, NY 12974, Phone: 518-546-7461
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Essex County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Essex County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Essex County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Essex County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Essex County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.