Franklin County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Franklin County, New York Facts
When was Franklin County, NY Created?
Franklin County was created on March 11, 1808 from Clinton County.
What is the County Seat of Franklin County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Malone and in addition the county government website is franklincony.org
What counties are adjacent to Franklin County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Clinton County, Essex County, Hamilton County, St. Lawrence County.
Franklin County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Franklin County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Franklin County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Franklin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Franklin County, NY Census Records
What Franklin County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Franklin County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880
(free index), 1890
(fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co.
Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co.
Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Franklin County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Franklin County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Franklin County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Franklin County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Franklin County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Franklin County, NY?
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Franklin County Historical and Museum Society, 51 Milwaukee Street, P.O. Box 388, Malone, New York 12953, Phone: 518-483-2750; Collection includes: Cemetery information, census records, town directories and phone books, family folders with individual genealogies, obituaries, pre-1900 newspapers, school yearbooks, town and county histories, early assessment rolls, and vital records.
- The Adirondack Genealogical – Historical Society, 100 Main St., Saranac Lake, NY, 12983 Phone: 518-891-0807; they have an obituary database extracted from the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and will search for you by phone. They also have some church records, census records on Franklin and surrounding counties, local directories, and cemetery information up to 2000.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Akwesasne Library and Cultural Center, 321 St. Rt. 37, Hogansburg, NY 13655, Fax: 518-358-2649, Phone: 518-358-2240; Has a large Native American collection which contains information on native people throughout the United States and Canada, has local history books and newspapers and a large collection of photographs.
- Chateaugay Memorial Library, 4 John Street, P.O. Box 10, Chateaugay, NY 12920, Phone: 518-497-0400; Has the records of Chateaugay from 1881–1995 on microfilm, scrapbooks, pamphlets, clippings, archival records, pictures, and cemetery records.
- Chateaugay Historical Society, 191 East Main Street, P.O. Box 123, Chateaugay, NY 12920, Phone: 518-497-6685; Has local church vitals, cemetery listings, family genealogies, historical photographs and documents relating to town history.
- Saranac Lake Free Library, 109 Main Street, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, Phone: 518-891-4190; Has federal data for Essex, Franklin, Clinton, and St. Lawrence counties fro 1850-1920. Also has state census data for 1855-1925. The Adirondack Research Center is found in the basement of the library. It houses many Adirondack historical materials, including books of cemetery inscriptions for southern Franklin County. One microfilm reader is available. Some church records and an obituary index for the Tri-Lakes area.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Franklin County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Franklin County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Franklin County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Franklin Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Franklin Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Franklin Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Franklin Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Franklin County, New York Wikipedia
- History of Ragged Lake in Franklin County, New York
- Save the Adirondacks from the Spoiler
- The north country : a history embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York
- Historical sketches of Franklin County and its several towns with many short biographies
- A history of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties, New York : from the earliest period to the present time
- History of Clinton and Franklin Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pion
- Hunting adventures in the northern wilds, or, A tramp in the Chateaugay woods, over hills, lakes, and forest streams
- Franklin County, New York Wiki
- Franklin Co. NY Genealogy
- Family History Library
- Franklin County, New York
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Franklin
- Franklin County New York
- Franklin Co. NYGenweb
- Franklin County Genealogy Queries
- Franklin Co. Data Collections
Franklin Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Franklin Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Franklin Co. NY Military Records
Franklin Co. NY Schools & Directories