Franklin County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Franklin County, New York Facts
When was Franklin County, NY Created?
Franklin County was created on March 11, 1808 from Clinton County.
Franklin County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Franklin County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Franklin County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Franklin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Franklin County, NY Census Records
What Franklin County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Franklin County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Franklin Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Franklin County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Franklin County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Franklin County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Franklin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 355 West Main Street, Malone, NY 12953
- Franklin County Clerk
- Phone: 518-481-1681
- Land Records: 1808
- Court Records: 1808
- Franklin County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 518-481-1736
- Probate Records: 1809
- Franklin County Historian
- Address: 51 Milwaukee Street, PO Box 388, Malone, NY 12953
- Phone: 518-483-2750
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Franklin County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Franklin County, NY?
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Franklin County Historical and Museum Society, 51 Milwaukee Street, P.O. Box 388, Malone, New York 12953, Phone: 518-483-2750; Collection includes: Cemetery information, census records, town directories and phone books, family folders with individual genealogies, obituaries, pre-1900 newspapers, school yearbooks, town and county histories, early assessment rolls, and vital records.
- The Adirondack Genealogical – Historical Society, 100 Main St., Saranac Lake, NY, 12983 Phone: 518-891-0807; they have an obituary database extracted from the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and will search for you by phone. They also have some church records, census records on Franklin and surrounding counties, local directories, and cemetery information up to 2000.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Akwesasne Library and Cultural Center, 321 St. Rt. 37, Hogansburg, NY 13655, Fax: 518-358-2649, Phone: 518-358-2240; Has a large Native American collection which contains information on native people throughout the United States and Canada, has local history books and newspapers and a large collection of photographs.
- Chateaugay Memorial Library, 4 John Street, P.O. Box 10, Chateaugay, NY 12920, Phone: 518-497-0400; Has the records of Chateaugay from 1881–1995 on microfilm, scrapbooks, pamphlets, clippings, archival records, pictures, and cemetery records.
- Chateaugay Historical Society, 191 East Main Street, P.O. Box 123, Chateaugay, NY 12920, Phone: 518-497-6685; Has local church vitals, cemetery listings, family genealogies, historical photographs and documents relating to town history.
- Saranac Lake Free Library, 109 Main Street, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, Phone: 518-891-4190; Has federal data for Essex, Franklin, Clinton, and St. Lawrence counties fro 1850-1920. Also has state census data for 1855-1925. The Adirondack Research Center is found in the basement of the library. It houses many Adirondack historical materials, including books of cemetery inscriptions for southern Franklin County. One microfilm reader is available. Some church records and an obituary index for the Tri-Lakes area.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Franklin County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Franklin County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Franklin County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Franklin County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Franklin County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.