Gloucester County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Gloucester County, New Jersey Facts
When was Gloucester County, NJ Created?
Gloucester County was established on May 28, 1686 from Burlington County .
What counties are adjacent to Gloucester County, NJ?
Bordering Counties are Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, Camden County, Atlantic County, Cumberland County, Salem County, New Castle County, Delaware, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Gloucester County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Gloucester County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Gloucester County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jersey for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Gloucester County, NJ Census Records
What Gloucester County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Gloucester County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gloucester Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gloucester Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gloucester Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Gloucester County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Gloucester County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Gloucester County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Gloucester County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Gloucester County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 North Broad Street, Woodbury, NJ 08096
- Gloucester County Clerk
- Phone: (856) 853-3237
- Land Records: 1766 mortgages /1785 deeds
- Marriage Records: 1686
- Gloucester County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Address: 17 North Broad St., Woodbury, NJ 08096
- Phone: 856-853-3282
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans’ court minutes / 1804 surrogates’ records
- Copies of wills taken from will book B, Gloucester County, New Jersey Surrogate’s Office at Woodbury, New Jersey, 1952
- Transcriptions of early county records of New Jersey
- The Organization and minutes of the Gloucester County Court, 1686-7
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Gloucester County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Gloucester County, NJ?
A list of Gloucester County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Gloucester County Historical Society, 17 Hunter Street, P.O. Box 409, Woodbury, NJ 08096-0409
- Harrison Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 4, Mullica Hill, New Jersey 08062; 856-478-4949
- Monroe Township Historical Society, Hall St, Williamstown, NJ 08094; (856) 728-0458
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Gloucester County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gloucester County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Gloucester County
- Gloucester County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Gloucester County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gloucester County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.