New Castle County, Delaware Genealogy
New Castle County was established on August 8, 1673 as an Original County (originally named New Amstel County until 1674). The county was named by Dutch Governor Anthony Colve for the town of New Castle, Delaware as an Anglicization of Nieuw Amstel.
Areas neighboring New Castle County are Chester County, Pennsylvania, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, Gloucester County, New Jersey, Salem County, New Jersey, Kent County, Kent County, Maryland, Cecil County, Maryland.
New Castle County vital records can be found at the Delaware Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Delaware for current fees and application process.
You can search online for New Castle County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Delaware Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. Same day service is available to walk-in customers. This is the fastest way to obtain a birth certificate. Walk-in address is University Plaza-Chopin Building – (302) 995-8588 – Office Hours 8:00 AM – 4:15 PM Monday through Friday except Holidays
New Castle Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. New Castle Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. New Castle Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There’s free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
New Castle County Society and Family History Resources
A list of New Castle County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Delaware Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Delaware Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Delaware State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Claymont Historical Society, P.O. 184,1 Naamans Road, Claymont, DE 19703; Phone:(302) 792-0285
- Ft. Delaware Society, P.O. Box 553, 33 Staff Lane, Delaware City, DE 19706; Phone:(302) 834-1630
- Jewish Historical Society Of Delaware, 505 Market Street Mall, Wilmington, Delaware 19801; JHSD Archives: (302) 655-6232
- New Castle Historical Society, 2 East Fourth Street, New Castle, DE 19720; Phone: 302-322-2794
- Winterthur Heritage Association, Route 52, Winterthur, DE 19735
- New Castle County, Delaware Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- New Castle County, Delaware Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for New Castle County (usgwarchives.net)
New Castle County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the value of New Castle County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Delaware courthouses and archives everywhere are the desires and worries of countless Delaware people.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the New Castle County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
- New Castle County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 500 North King Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Phone: 302-255-0900
- New Castle County Clerk of the Peace functions include Witnessing County documents; attends all formal Levy Court Meetings; records all acts as custodian for the Minutes of the Levy Court Meetings; advertises and posts County ordinances; countersigns warrants drawn on County funds. Issues marriage licenses and performs marriages (civil ceremonies) in the County.
- Marriage Records: 1829-1898
- New Castle County Register of Wills purpose is to record wills and documents pertaining to estate matters in New Castle County, Delaware. The office is responsible for overseeing the appointments of personal representatives and for administering estate proceedings. This office is also held accountable for making sure that the estates are in compliance with the Delaware Law. All estate matters are maintained as permanent records.
- Probate Records: 1742
- New Castle County Register of Deeds is responsible for indexing and maintaining copies of legal documents pertaining to land, mortgages, appointments, etc. Only the most recent deeds are in the office, however. Most have been transferred to the archives.
- Land Records: 1676
New Castle County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to New Castle County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own preferred New Castle County genealogy or family history related sites.
New Castle Co. DE Books, Newspapers & Publications
New Castle Co. DE Birth, Marriage & Death Records
New Castle Co. DE Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
New Castle Co. DE Census Records
- Delaware Census Records Research Guide
- Delaware Census, 1790-1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Castle County, DE Census Records Links
- Selected African Americans in Delaware, 1890 U.S. Census (search.ancestry.com)
- New Castle County, DE Census QuickFacts